19.

19.

"What's he done?" Danni asked as soon as I barrelled in to her apartment with tears streaming down my cheeks.

"It's complicated." I sniffed. Danni sat me down on her small leather couch and sat beside me, waiting to listen.

"I'm the master of complicated." She stated. "So, tell me."

"He said his mother was dead." I looked to her. Danni looked to me with confusion on her face. "She isn't, she was just in his apartment once I got back from work."

"Well, fuck me sideways." She let out breath. "There is obviously a rational reason for this."

"I know, I know there probably is." I laid a hand to my head. "It's just the fact he lied to me, Danni. I told him about my past and he doesnt trust me with his."

That's what hurt the most. If I hadn't had told Nick my ugly past, maybe then I would be able to understand, not wanting to be a hypocrite in the slightest. I, for one, knew how hard it was to tell people about those demons, to confront people and make it all a reality but lying about it was never going to be the best outcome. It hurt to know that Nick had lied to me, he had gone against that trust we were slowly building for each other. That hurt.

"Well, I'm not the best with relationship advice but I will always be on your side no matter what. I want to make this better but I'm not really sure how I can do that." Danni grabbed hold of my hand. "So I'm just going to say what I know."

"Which is?"

"He's a twat." She stated bluntly. Even through the tears, a small smile formed on to my face. That was just typical Danni, always being blunt about what she thinks but also cheering you up in the process.

"You can say that again." I giggled. "But it's difficult, isn't it? I want this to work."

"I know you do. You're in love with him." Danni said, as if she had known all along.

"Dan, I think I am." And that petrified me, especially to say it out loud to my best friend. It made it all the more real, and I was shaking in my shoes at the thought.

How could this work if Nick couldn't even tell me the truth about his past, like I did mine? He lied to me, outright. I would never have known if his mother hadn't turned up to the apartment after all. When was he going to tell me?

I was angry, very angry, but I was mostly left feeling deflated. I felt defeated.

"It doesn't take a scientist to figure that one out." Danni stated. She got up from the sofa in the middle of the room and I watched her walk in to the kitchen. Two minutes later she returned with a glass of wine in her hand and some chocolate. "Here, comfort food."

"Thanks, Dan." I smiled her way. I took the wine and chocolate with greed and enthusiasm. I was definitely a comfort food eater and I ate whenever I was feeling low.

"I would have suggested vodka but I don't want you paralytic tonight."

I laughed in reply.

Danni put on a film so we could both watch it. She hoped it would take my mind off Nick even only for a little while. I turned my phone off on the way to Danni's, so I didn't know whether he had tried ringing me in the last hour I was here.