Chapter 47

The two stayed like that late into the night, taking comfort in the other's presence while lost in their own thoughts. The wind was blowing strong and Ran'mosy's wings were more blocking the wind than comforting Ryraso. The sounds of the water running and night-time animals almost calming to hear. Eventually, there was a familiar sound of Nel'os appearing out of nowhere, startling them both from their thoughts.

Ryraso looked over at Nel'os. The Royal's expression strange and almost guarded as he looked at the two men embraced. If Ryraso had the strength of the will, he would have rolled his eyes or made a comment but his heart just wasn't capable of it. He just wanted to mope in a ball and be left alone. Still, wordlessly Ryraso reached out to his suitor with an open hand. It would not do for Nel'os to feel jealous over Ran'mosy. That would only make both of their situations worse.

Taking the invitation, Nel'os quickly wrapped himself around Ryraso and also Ran'mosy, nuzzling both men. Murmuring gentle words of comfort as Ran'mosy pressed his wings against his. A forward action but an understandable one. Nel'os could feel the hurt rolling off of both.

Nel'os' first reaction was to worry about the pain which was bleeding from both men almost visibly, but he could also sense something else. Something had changed that night. A shift in their minds and souls which Nel'os could only hope that what the two had needed to find had been found and everything would improve. Or at least no longer hurt. Nel'os kissed Ryraso on the forehead tenderly and cupped his cheek.

"I'm sorry to disturb sweetheart, but a storm is brewing here. It is time to move to cover," Nel'os murmured softly, almost afraid to break the quiet of the night.

As Nel'os mentioned the storm, thunder sounded in the distance. Ryraso realised the dampness in the air had grown heavier and clouds had covered up the night sky. Already he could feel rain droplets raining, though very lightly. Ryraso nodded in agreement and turned into Nel'os, placing his head on Nel'os shoulder.

Nel'os felt his heart skip a beat at the action but pulled himself back together. This couldn't just be the fight or the circumstances. Something else was weighing on his beloved. Whatever was wrong, however, would have to wait until they were back safely in the hut. He wrapped an arm around both men and transported.

Nel'os transported them back to Ran'mosy's home nest first. It was a small hut, O'chetur sitting in the living area, watching a fire as his mates slept in the nest in a separate room, though the curtain separating the two was up putting them on view. Ryraso could see Herymi curled in the centre of the nest, a blanket up to his chest while Cha'em and Adar'y curled around him tightly. O'chetur blinked in surprise at Nel'os' arrival but didn't say anything out loud.

Ryraso strongly suspected Nel'os and O'chetur were talking over the link as he watched Ran'mosy move over to his dominant mate. O'chetur cupped Ran'mosy's face and kissed him warmly on the lips. Ran'mosy pressed against him and hugged him for a moment before moving over to the nest almost timidly.

Shifting, Herymi yawned as he sat up, Ran'mosy flinching backwards as Herymi looked at him. Herymi sleepily raised an eyebrow but offered his hand, much as Ryraso had done earlier to Nel'os. A gesture which simply said, 'Come here you'. Like Nel'os, Ran'mosy wasted no time in accepting the invitation and collapsed into the bed next to Herymi, tears rolling down his face and clinging to his arms.

Cha'em shifted to curl in Ran'mosy's wings and Herymi locked his strong arms around the upset k'nairi. Gently humming a lullaby which seemed to relax Ran'mosy's wings.

'Herymi still loves Ran'mosy,' Nel'os said through the link softly. 'The feelings are still there, even if they did fight.'

'I know,' Ryraso murmured, not sure what else to offer up. Those words had a weight to them which suggested there was more to them than the obvious. Words and emotions Nel'os was trying to convey but was scared to voice and Ryraso wasn't yet ready to hear. Ryraso understood either way. It didn't help the tightness in his chest, however.