Honour

"Are you okay," the deep baritone of his sultry voice had Maliha's eyelids clenching shut in reverence even as she jumped at his unexpected approach.

She peered over her shoulder, catching the way his copper skin seemed to glow like flickering fire as the dying sun cast shadows over his body. He was all braun and muscle, like no other male she had ever known.

Her head nodded in response to his words before she turned away to stare out at the landscape from her window. As tired as she was, her body was full of uncontrollable energy from both the child birth and from the name giving celebration.

Maliha had barely slept a wink in the hours since Namali and Kanu were born and it showed beneath eyes.

"You do not have to lie to me Maliha," his lips traced across the shell of her ear as he wrapped his arms around her.

She hadn't heard his approach, but feel him she did. Her head thudded back agasint his chest as he tucked her head beneath his chin.

"I will be fine," she croaked, hands shaking as she pushed one of the short strands of hair away from her face.

He hummed his agreement but he didn't let go of her, thick arms banding tighter across her chest as her body nuzzled into his

"It has been a long few days and I haven't had time to process anything-"

"Like Nahi's child birth?"

Her teeth sunk into her lip as she pondered on whether to bare her feelings to him.

"Yes. I was scared," she whispeeed, words with emotion that cracked through her body and seeped out through her eyes.

"I was scared and it's hard for me to just forget that fear. Things could have been so different," she whispered again, knowing how Ujarak would feel about her emotions.

Disgust.

"Yes, things could have been different," he murmured in agreement, shocking Maliha so much that she span to face him.

She had to see his face, to trace a lie along his skin.

"But they aren't. You were brave Maliha"

"But I was scared," she emphasised, "I still am. The healer said the cut was deep and if the wound becomes infected she could-"

"Shh," he hushed, pulling her head into his large chest, the dry clay was abrasive against her skin but the feel of his warm body overrode any discomfort.

"It's okay Maliha," he soothed her like a parent would a child, rubbing along her back and making light hushing noises.

"I was scared too," words so whisper soft she almost missed them.

"You were scared?" She couldn't hide the utter shock that laced her words. She had believed emotions like fear where things he did not feel or at least did not admit to feeling.

"Of course. My sister was struggling. If you had not acted quickly she would have- and the babe- I would have been mad with grief," he murmured haltingly, face solemn with the thought of what could have been.

"But she is fine now."

Eyes big as she stared in wonder at the multi faceted man before her. To the tribe he presented one persona, one that did not feel fear, pain or even grief but she saw the truth. He was human and loosing his sister would have killed a part of him.