The Brink of War

The tribe was in disarray.

Maliha clutched Enzo in her arms as she sat beside Xiuri and tried to console her friend even when Maliha's worries could not be quietened.

"He won't stay," Xiuri sobbed into her hands, her shoulders shaking as the Der Surjaz and Nah Barros warriors prepared themselves for battle.

"Shhh, they'll be fine." Maliha soothed her free hand over Xiuri's back, whilst her other hand played with Enzo's hair. His damp cheeks were pressed into her shoulders.

Maliha's gaze was stuck to the floor, her watery eyes staring at the upturned earth as feet moved in and out of her sight.

Maliha was sick of war, she had seen enough of it to last a lifetime, but it seemed as if those years of reprieve were coming to an end. The Svolik had been plotting and now they were moving, leaving the Dahsolik nation to scramble and prepare resources.

"I don't want them to go either Xiuri, but as warriors, they won't sit by idly whilst there is a threat. They'll be okay."

"What if they aren't okay?"

Maliha tutted at Xiuri in frustration. "Don't put negative thoughts out there, the universe has a way of taking our spoken fears and manifesting them so think positively."

Xiuri nodded her head as she hurried her tear stained cheeks on Maliha's opposite shoulder. Maliha made eye contact with Kamir from across the clearing. His large body charged over to them.

"Xiuri," he soothed, a large palm running over her back as he swept her into his arms. "I'll take her to our tent." He mumbled whilst trying to sorrow his crying solah.

"It's just us now Enzo," Maliha hummed rocking him back and forth until his erratic breathing smoothed out and his warm breath tickled against her neck.

Maliha moved slowly as she walked back to her father's home with a sleeping Enzo in her arms. She tried to block out the chaos that surrounded her, but it was impossible not to see the weapons that seemed to manifest from thin air. She had already spoken to her brother and father and not even their assurance could calm Maliha's erratic thoughts.

Nothing but the sight of her sleeping son could calm Maliha's mind. She sat at the end of the bed, careful not to wake Enzo from his fitful sleep. Just the mere sight of his innocent face brought peace to her churning thoughts.

"He's so peaceful when he sleeps."

"Yes, and clingy. It's almost impossible to breathe when I sleep next to him, but I wouldn't trade him for the world." Maliha lightly stroked Enzo's dark cheeks before climbing from the bed.

"I miss the clinging. My nights aren't the same without it."

Maliha's eyes narrowed at Ujarak. His large body leaned against the entryway to their room. His body was clad with weapons marking the inevitable battle that was soon to ensue. She gave Enzo one final look before stepping passes Ujarak and into the eating area. She pointedly ignored his last comment, knowing that any response would start a conversation that was not needed at this current moment.

"As you know, the Der Surjaz will fight alongside the Nah Barros against the Svolik." Maliha's head bobbed in agreement. "I'll be leaving soon, and I just wanted to make sure you were both okay before I did. I do not know how long I will be gone."

Or if he would even return. The unspoken sentence rang clear even though it did not pass either of their lips.

"I'm a little scared. We all are. War is so unpredictable, and life is so fragile. We would be crazy not to be afraid, but we will be okay as long as you all make it back to us."