Chapter 9: Devin.

I could not believe how much stress this entire apocalypse was putting on me. With all the girl drama and shit, killing stuff, it was pretty damn stressful.

Most people would say 'oh, it's such a blessing!' Living in a house with all girls isn't always the best.

I awoke from a short nap on the couch to Madison screaming to Marissa; "Hey, Marissa! Where the hell are the tampons?!" I groaned loudly, grabbing a pillow off the couch and slamming my face into it. I flung myself off the couch, walking upstairs to the game room to find Alyssa, Samantha and Loranna all playing Soul Calibur II. Alyssa was matching off with Loranna who was button mashing violently as they both sat criss-cross at the edge of the couch.

"I need a gun." I blurted out loud. "Not now, Devin!" Loranna and Alyssa yelled in sync. "Imma' KO your ass, Alyssa!" Loranna yelled at the TV, her fingers moving intricately on the controller. I groaned loudly, going and sitting on the floor next to Samantha to watch.

I watched until Loranna lost after Alyssa did a combo that sent Loranna's health flying the 0's. Loranna screamed, stood up, and threw her controller across the room. "Anger issues much?" Samantha commented. "No, I'm fine!" She yelled, growling. Everyone groaned loudly as Loranna went over to the T.V., shutting it off in protest. She slapped her knee, grunting. "God, calm down." I commented, sighing softly. I ran a hand through my hair, rubbing my face. "I'm gonna go cook dinner," Samantha said getting up and making her way downstairs.

I stood up, adjusting my shirt as I followed.

"What're we making?" I said, wringing my hands off onto a towel. "I think we should make potato and leek soup," Samantha said, grabbing a cutting board from under the stove. I nodded, going into the fridge to grab the leeks and potatoes.

"Okay, cut those up really fine for me," Samantha said, pointing to the leeks. I nodded, grabbing a large, flat blade. I begin to chop the leeks finely, brushing them into a bowl. Mid-chop, the entire house blacked out. I heard Alyssa and Loranna shriek from upstairs, and a repetitive thudding down the stairs. A smack hit the floor near the kitchen, signifying someone had just fallen down the stairs. "What the hell just happened?" I asked, dropping the knife. It slammed onto my foot, slicing it. I yelped, reaching down and blindly fumbling for the knife. I was barefoot, so the knife had sliced right through.

I winced, grasping it by the blade, lifting it up. "I'm okay!" Someone yelled from the stairs. I heard some feet squeaking into the kitchen, and someone grabbing onto my arm. "What's this?" I heard Alyssa's voice yell in my ear. "That's...me..?" I replied, reaching in the dark. I brushed her arm, grasping it. "I'm going outside to go see why the house blacked out." I said loudly, so the entire house could hear. The heater had shut off too, and probably all the water as well.

I strained my eyes, blinking until I was able to see enough of the room to guide my way outside. I opened the door, the blinding light shining through the pathway of the door.

I snuck around the back to the side, going to go look for the electrical box. As I rounded the corner, I was bombarded by four silhouettes, towering over me. Some were at least seven feet tall, They stepped closer to me, into the light, revealing who they were. There were three men and one female all looking to be in their late thirties.

"Get down on your knees." One of them spoke mellowly, stepping towards me. "Are there others?!" The woman prodded me with her fist, pushing my shoulder. "No, just me." I spoke slowly and calmly. "Check the house." The woman said, kicking in my thighs backwards, sending me face forward. I slammed down onto the wet dew on the grass, making me itch with anticipation. The woman put her boot down my my back, pressing me farther into the dirt.