Chapter Seven | Goodbyes

The moon still controlled the star lit sky when Braydon woke. Carefully he pulled his arm out from under Miranda causing her to roll onto her side so they were now facing each other.  Nearly nose-to-nose, Braydon could make out the outline of her face and the faint glow of silver light that filtered in from outside helped him to see. The angle she was on left her face to remain in shadows so he couldn’t really see her too well.

Miranda’s sight wasn’t like the shifters, so the slither of light didn’t help her as Braydon gentle rocked her shoulder in an effort to wake her up. Met with darkness, the faint outline of Braydon staring back at her didn’t startle Miranda as much as it may have could she see and blinking a few times she yawned. The lack of light told her it was too early to be up and since she had never been a morning person, that wasn’t about to change now. Barely awake, she didn’t think as she inched closer to Braydon, absorbing his warmth as she felt herself returning to her dreams.

“Miranda, wake up,” Braydon whispered, gently rocking her again.

“No!” Came the almost growl like response and in a bid to find the comfort she had earlier, Miranda wiggled up slightly to be higher on the bedding and moved her arm up under her head to lean on as she hugged the pillow. Braydon moved at the same time, not meaning to keep his face so close to hers, so when Miranda lifted her head to adjust her position again, she was met with Braydon’s cheek against her own.

The prickly skin felt nice against the softness of hers and while Braydon sat up leaning on his arm – he turned to stone. Barely conscious and aware of what she was doing, Miranda rubbed her face against the rough surface, before her head dipped lower to nuzzle into his neck. A soft moan left her lips as her hand drifted up and along Braydons arm, sending goose bumps all over his skin as he stopped breathing.

“Miran-“ Braydon stuttered into Miranda’s ear, swallowing hard as every caress set him on edge. His body had never felt so alert and her name was lost as her hand finished exploring his arm and chest. The coolness of her fingers slid behind his neck, twirling through the long strands of his hair as her cheek left his once again. Expecting her to move away, Braydon was positive he was about die as his body became paralyzed and all he could focus on was the tantalizing sensation of her mouth suddenly against his. His heart was pounding so hard it was about to break out of his chest.

In her mind, Miranda was down by the river with Braydon and after removing his beard her kissing him ended their moment rather than moving away. He smelt like the forest, so natural and woodsy, completely masculine. His strong arms held her close, making her feel safe despite being miles from home and lost in the wild.  Braydon kissed her like an expert lover, as if he had arrived in her life from the pages of a romance novel, a wild man that only she could tame. It was a terrifyingly erotic thought.

Lost in her fantasy, Miranda’s body moved closer against Braydons no longer for warmth or comfort, but with need. As her lips left his, moving to his jaw, down his neck and then across his collarbone, Braydon resembled a deer in headlights. He had no idea what to do or how to stop it, even though he didn’t actually want to and not all of his body was suffering with shock. The growing bulge in his pants responded accordingly to the sensation of Miranda’s hip grinding against him. Braydons’ breathing hitched, and as suddenly as it all started – Miranda stopped. Her body relaxed beside him as the low rumble of her snores took over instead.

Bewildered, breathless and left with his own urges, Braydon managed to get out of bed and went out into the clearing. The fresh air did nothing to clear his mind and after a few minutes of pacing around the cabin, his body started to calm down too. A couple of deep breathes later and Braydon dared to venture back inside. There was a sweeter scent in the cabin now, one he didn’t recognize. Going over to Miranda, the aroma was coming from her, and deciding to ignore it Braydon gently rocked her shoulder instead.