Chapter Five

Asher

Asher

The stands were filling up with excited bystanders, both from Overton and Highland. This was the big race everyone had been waiting for to kick off the season. 

Today was the day Sang will go up against Havoc, the racer that beat her during the tournament last year. The two were equally matched, but with luck on his side, Havoc crossed the line a millisecond before Sang. She was crushed.

Her and I worked hard all summer long doing upgrades on her car and building up her skills behind the wheel. Half of the time she wanted to punch me, but after watching her at our last practice together, I knew she appreciated the results. 

The other racers, including myself, lined our cars up on the other side of the track, opposite to the bleachers. The track's large stadium lights brightened up the area and the concession stand sold food and booze to satisfy the watchers. The stand was Sang's idea when she first started racing. It brought in a good amount of extra money for our pockets, but we also used the profits to keep the track in good shape.

To keep up image, I had to sit on the hood of my car as people from school—mostly females—walked by and loudly ooed and awed over our cars.

And me.

I rolled my eyes and took a sip of my beer, wishing Logan was over here to take the brunt of the torture. Tonight wasn't my night to race but I still had obligations here. I always felt on display while people drooled over me and my car but at least something good came out of it—it got people hyped up for the next race.

Blinking from the harsh lighting, I squinted toward the seats until I spotted my brother. He was sitting at the front with Tarzan, Corny, Ballgazer, and a few other guys from the team. Looking closely, I watched as Sang escaped her own gang of admiring men and jogged toward the guys.

She started waving her fists in the air and I knew she was ranting off about those dumb knuckleheads she had to talk to before the race. I smiled and shook my head.

"Asher! Hi!" Some girl walked up to me. She was dressed in a tight leather skirt that bared way too much leg, a red crop top shirt, and a pair of strappy heels. I immediately knew I would find no enjoyment talking to her. Out of the hundreds of reasons why, the one that made me laugh was her shoes. Who wears heels like that when they have to walk over a bumpy ground and mushy grass?

"Hi," I said flatly, switching my gaze back to Sang and our friends, wishing I could be over there with them.

The girl giggled and stepped closer. "Are you excited for the party tonight?"