Chapter 23: Rainbows

*Alexa Shiffer*

I had made it out of the house with no further questions and had literally just made it to the end of my road as Jordan arrived. Perfect timing. I waved brightly as Jordan's car turned the corner. Thankfully, he noticed me and pulled in beside me.

I hopped in happily, grinning from ear to ear. I couldn't wait to meet all the children in Rainbows.

"Hi!" I said excitedly as I buckled my seat belt.

Jordan stopped what he was doing and looked at me.

"What?" I demanded.

Jordan narrowed his eyes and tilted his head.

"Dude!" I snapped, annoyed. "What?"

"Are you okay?" he asked slowly. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Yes, I'm fine, why?" I answered, confused.

"Oh, nothing," he said dismissively. "It's just that you seemed to be actually...happy, just now. Don't blame me for being worried about you."

I punched him in the arm.

"Ow!"

"What are you trying to say? I'm generally a very happy person," I defended. "You've seen me happy before, Jordan."

"Never that happy though."

"Maybe it's just because you have the ability to put a damper on my happiness then."

Jordan chucked under his breath and winked.

"Keep telling yourself that, Angel."

"I will, thank you very much."

~*~

It didn't take too long to get to Rainbows. Tunnersly isn't the largest town in the area. From the outside, the orphanage looked bright and cheerful. The walls were painted vibrant colours and the large glass entrance doors and windows gave a glimpse of the upbeat interior. The Rainbows sign was painted in all the colours of the rainbow.

I couldn't understand how an orphanage could look so happy and bright, when the children inside had no family. You could hear excited voices, shouting and calling and laughing from the outside play area round the back of the building.

I found myself smiling involuntarily at the sounds of their voices as Jordan and I neared the entrance.

Before we even made it to the front desk, we were interrupted.

"Uncle Jordan!" a voice screamed. In a blur, a little body came rushing past me and materialised, hugging Jordan's legs. Jordan didn't look surprised at all. He just bent down as well as he could with someone attached to his legs and ruffled the hair of the little boy.

The boy looked up with huge brown eyes and a big grin.

"Hey, Uncle Jordan, when can we have another game of soccer?" the boy asked excitedly.

Jordan gently prised the boy's hands off his legs and bent down so he was at the same level as the boy.

"How about after lunch, eh Tommy? I need a rematch after you beat me last time anyway," Jordan smiled, and gave Tommy's head another light ruffle. Tommy nodded violently.

"Uncle Jordan!" a girl's voice cried loudly, accompanied by fast footsteps on the polished floorboards. Then came the other voices.

"Uncle Jordan?"