1

I was sleeping peacefully when my phone rang at around 3a.m.. Usually, I'd be mad but this phone call is from an important person. The time zones also add up to the huge problem. Plus, had I received it in the middle of the day, it be inconvenient for me.

I close my eyes again after taking the phone call. I sigh contently as I wait for sleep to come back to me. My eyes flicker open when I feel someone pull at my hair. It's him, my boyfriend.

I smile and pull my covers off, looking at my wristwatch. He offers me his hand which I happily take and we walk outside to a car. I get in without question and he sits beside me, telling me how much he missed me.

The car is speeding but I don't mind that right now. I always feel safe when I'm with him. The car comes to an abrupt stop and he gets out, pulling me behind him. It's pretty chilly for a Spring night. I'm only in my pyjama shorts and shirt while he's wearing black pants and a black polo shirt.

He takes my hand and leads me to the woods, talking about what had time and devotion lately. I get a hint of hurt in his tone but chose to ignore it. Shouldn't I be happy he's spending some time with me?

We stop in front of a tree, very old with dry barks. The cracking sounds of fallen twigs fill the air around us as I look around. I cannot see which way we came from. There's no sign of light and I forgot to bring my phone.

"What are we doing here?" I ask and he looks at me with wide eyes. He take my hands and kisses my knuckles, avoiding eye contact.

With a breaking voice, he speaks. "Pain is only in your mind."

Is he crying?

"What are you talking about?" I get a chill running down my spine and I look around, suddenly feeling scared.

He clenches his jaw and gives me a cold look, "I'm sorry, but I never share."

I turn to look behind me but a strong hard object beats me to it. It feels like I was hit with a hockey stick on my head. He lets go of my hands as I fall to my knees, feeling dizzy. The ground is spinning behind me and I grip onto my head for support. My hands feel wet and I bring them to my eyes.

Dark red.

Liquid.

Flowing down the side of my face.

Some down my forehead.

I feel it in my mouth and some stains my pink shirt.

One.

I try to look up, to look for him, but my eyes hurt badly. I lean against the tree and it pierces my back. The new pain is somehow dimming the first one. He leans down and kisses my forehead. I start hiccuping when he moves back and four figures move forward.

One steps forward and pulls out what looks like a pocket knife. He crouches down and in a swift motion, he connects the blade to the side of my waist, cutting the skin closest to my right breast. I cry out in pain and cover my wound with my free hand.

Two.

Another one steps forward but this time he doesn't crouch down. He sucks in a breath of air before punching my nose; a fucking leftie. I fall to my side and blood is oozing out of my nose.

Three.

I try inhaling some air but my body shakes in pain. Twigs crack and I try to look up but before I even get the strength to, a boot makes contact with my stomach. I cough and whizz, spitting out blood.

Four.

The thought of death comes across my mind and this time I don't let it pass. Death feels comforting. It promises me a better feeling than what I'm going through. I'm pulled out of my trance by the sound of a gun.