17

If I didn't have an excuse to leave before, I got one now. I furiously draw the curtains and rush out of her house, closing the door soundlessly behind me. I run to the main house and say my greetings to the young house help, Lu was her name.

I see myself out and jog down the street, making a turn to exit the neighbourhood. I run a few more blocks and stop at a tree in front of a beautiful grey house. I lean against the tree and rest my hands on my knees, feeling the tears run down my face.

This was the plan but I didn't know it'd hurt this badly. After a couple of minutes, I wipe my tears with my shirt and tie my hair into a high bun. I enter my address in my phone's map and see that the shortest route is an 18 minute walk.

I get up, brush the dust off and make a turn around the corner before colliding into someone with obvious bigger muscles than me. I stumble back and keep my head down, saying my apologies as I walk around them. They take hold of my wrist as I try to walk past and my heart rate quickens. I look up and stare into brown eyes.

"Are you okay?" he asks and I just nod. He doesn't look too convinced as he takes a step closer but still keeps a respectable distance. "Where are you off to in such a rush?"

"Home," I turn to walk away when he offers to give me a ride. "Why?"

"I mean," he scratches the back of his head, "I don't have anything to do so I might as well help you out."

"And who ever said I was in need of help?" I snap. No, no, no! I was supposed to direct my anger at my boyfriend.

He lifts his arms in surrender. "You don't look quite well, ma'am."

I think about the ride for a second. It's not like I don't know self-defence. And it's pretty dark already. I slowly nod and he steps aside to wait for me and I follow his lead. He opens the gate and the door to the grey house I'd seen a while ago and tells me to wait for him in the living room area.

He runs up the stairs two steps at a time. It seems like these neighbourhood is meant for people of wealth. I sit on the edge of one of the clean sofas and wait for him to come back.

 I sit on the edge of one of the clean sofas and wait for him to come back

I'd really enjoy living here. Some people have it all; wealth, health, looks. And I have nothing. Heck, even my new boyfriend is already slipping right through my fingertips.

"I'm back," he says, pulling me out of my thoughts. I stand up and offer him my best smile and follow him out. "I'm sorry you had to wait," he starts to explain, opening the car door for me.

He gets in and drives the car out of the neighbourhood, heading uptown. I watch him drive, taking his features and copying them to my memory in case he tries something funny.

He has a quif which is combed carefully and his side profile looks really attractive. His lips are full and his jaw is defined and perfect for his face.

Oh my god, what am I doing? I have a boyfriend after all.

"You don't talk much, do you?"

"Nope," I sigh. "Sometimes."

"Rough day?" he tries again and I nod. Manners, Tess. I can also have some manners. "Want to share?"

"Can I?" I ask and it's his time to nod. "So I met my boyfriend's ex, right? And I don't know, but she's really attached to the guy. Like, she won't even let him breathe alone. It's so annoying."

"Does he know how you feel about this?"

"I didn't tell him."

"He didn't have to ask," he pauses. "A guy should know when a certain situation is making his girlfriend uncomfortable."

"I kind of feel like she wants him back. And he's not stopping her." He drums on his steering wheel, probably thinking of something. "I live in Avenue Heights."

"But first," he says, turning into a pizza parlor. "May I?" He gets out and comes around to open the door for me, taking my hand in his as he walks into the shop. It's filled with high school and college students.

"I hope you don't mind," he comes closer and whispers over the noise. I turn and shake my head to him, my mood lifting up. "What shall we order?"

"I don't know. I'll eat anything, I guess," I say, earning a chuckle from him as I smile easily. "I'll get us a table," I say and head to the back of the shop.

To my luck, I find a table at the back where it's quieter and more relaxed. He comes shortly after and takes a sit beside me, opening the boxes as he sets them down.

"I brought Pepperoni, Pineapple, Sausage, Bacon and Extra cheese. You like?"

"Yes, thank you," I smile brightly.

"My sister always told me pizza is a great way to cheer up a girl."

"That's partially true. How old is she?"

"Same as you, 22."

I raised my eyebrows at him, holding my second slice of pizza mid-air. "And you know that how?"

"Let's just say I've been paying attention," he winks.

We chat the entire evening, learning a few things about each other because we were mostly teasing other people if not each other. He'd point at a jock and say something hilarious about his hair or pose and I'd break into fits of laughter.

When our pizzas were finished, I helped with the bill even though he was adamant he did this for me to cheer up. He even went as far as going after the waitress and asking for my money back but I told her to keep walking as I pulled him away.

With an amused face, she walked away and left Daniel standing defeated. He promised he'd make sure I didn't have money on me next time.

Yes, there is a next time.