7

Chiho was taken back, but did not back down. "The heck are you doing here, I thought you had work after school"

"Change of plans, it turned out I didn't need to today, and I suddenly felt the urge to come here. More importantly, I can't believe you were trying to lay a finger on my kitten" Akari said.

Kitten?

"You're quite possessive, aren't you? Were you so worried I might snatch her away that you came running here? Well lay off, this is between (y/n) and me" Chiho tried to pull her worst glare, but compared to Akari's it wasn't that effective.

!

Chiho's eyes widened as her head moved to the side. She grasped her cheek and looked at Akari.

"D-did....you just?" Chiho stammered.

Chiho was just slapped by Akari.

"Oh, you think that was bad? I can do much more worse..." Akari's voice faded.

The creak of the door opening sprang to my ears.

"Hey (y/n), can I-" Daichi entered the room, but seeing all the tension he stopped midway.

With the door opened, Chiho found the opportunity to dash out and leave. Akari was about to go after her, but I grabbed her hand and shook my head.

"It's fine, Akari. I'm ok"

But it seemed like Akari saw through my lie as the only thing she did was give me a face of pity.

"S-sorry...I guess I interupted..." Daichi awkwardly stood in the hallway.

"This is the second time now, I feel like you're doing this on purpose. Well, it was a good choice to interrupt though" I replied.

I feel like it would've gotten out of hand otherwise...

He quietly left and I was only left with Akari and the feeling of turmoil. I had so many questions to ask, yet the realization of what just happened was slowly hitting me, and I couldn't do anything. So this is life?

Soon I was enveloped in a hug by Akari. Normally I would protest being hugged tightly for longer than a minute or try to comment, but this time neither of us said anything. Because, betrayal has an acidic taste and the untrustworthiness of humans soon shows itself. Things like being naive, is it really a bad thing? Maybe it is, if it's just going to end up this way.

We just stayed like that for a long time.

Waking up for school the next day was tough.

I had half listened to my teachers' lectures and kept feeling a sense of unease that couldn't disappear by normal means. I don't know if Akari understood what happened between Chiho and I, but she understood that Chiho had hurt me. Just that much was able to cause an ordeal that I didn't know of.

"Huh?" I got a text message from Akari after school.

sorry, got to take care of something after school

That vague sentence was unlike her. It could just be me, I could just be worrying for nothing but the uneasiness in me grew. "Got to take care of something". I looked at it again and I couldn't find any relief in those words. Where could Akari be? I took a deep breath in, and began to speed walk. I needed to look for her, that was the only way to calm my rapidly beating heart. The one who helps me, the one who calms me, it's all Akari. So-

My fast walking turned into a jog, then a run, and then I was sprinting. I need to find her! There were not many places she could be at yet, she was bound to be nearby somewhere.

I stopped and my ragged breathing pervaded.

I ended up finding her, in the most horrendous state yet to be seen.