Chapter Twenty-Eight

Zara's POV

Ayesha stays over with me that night. Rayyan told her about the guy who was trying to look into my home that morning, and she also thinks that it was Hamza. It has to be him. It wouldn't be anyone else. Even though I have work tomorrow, Ayesha decides to stay with me because she knows I feel afraid and that I don't want to be alone tonight.

I'm so frightened. Hamza is back for me. He hasn't contacted me yet, though, which is weird. I have a feeling that he is planning something big. I need to keep myself safe. I feel so bad saying this, but I don't even feel safe at home. Because I haven't told anyone at home about Hamza's return. I feel safe at the office, because I know that Zaid is close, and the security of the company building is extremely tight. Whenever Zaid is near me, I forget about all the fear. I forget about everything. I feel safe when I'm with him.

Me, Ayesha and Maryam bake chocolate chip cookies at 9pm. The cookies are delicious, and we have a lot of fun baking them. After that, me and Ayesha go upstairs to my room. We watch a movie, and then just sit and talk. I have a great time chatting with her about shopping, university, and much more. I'm so glad that Ayesha lives just next door to me, as it means that we can meet up anytime we want. Ayesha is always coming over, and I'm always going to her house, too. Her parents are lovely, as is Rayyan.

At 12am, we are lying in bed, still wide awake. We are still chatting away. Ayesha asks me about Asad.

I roll my eyes. 'He's a nice guy, I guess. He seemed nice enough. Aunty Laiba is lovely, too.'

"Hmm, yes. Hafsa told me too, that Asad seemed like a good guy. So, what do you think about marriage?" She asks me.

I sigh. 'I don't want to marry him, Ayesha. I mean, he's a nice guy and all, sure, but he's not the one for me. Like Hafsa, you probably won't understand what I'm saying, but I don't want to marry him.'

She touches my arm gently. I can't see the expression on her face, because we have turned all the lights off. "Zara, I fully understand. I know why you don't want to marry him."

'Huh? You do? What do you know?'

She laughs. "Yes, I know what the reason is. And so do you."

I sigh. 'What's the reason? You're probably gonna say something crazy, too!'

"Zaid Malik." Hearing her say it, makes it seem even more true. Not that I don't already know how hard I've fallen for him, but...even Ayesha knows. I guess I'm not good at hiding my feelings. Does that mean...Maryam and Mum know, too? And Hafsa? No, I don't think they know. I hope not. What would they think?!

'What do you mean?' I ask, faking a laugh.

"Zara, you can't fool me. Don't you trust me, sweetie? If I liked someone, the first person I'd tell would be you! I've seen the feelings in your eyes for Zaid since day one, babe! Since I first saw you two together. I've also seen that many times, you have tried to get rid of these feelings, to ignore them, but it hasn't worked. You love him, Zara. And I think he feels the same way."

I burst out laughing at this. 'He feels the same way?! He's...a CEO. He's Zaid Malik, and he can have any girl he wants in the entire world! He doesn't like me, he's just my friend.'

"Keep saying that, babe. I really feel as though he likes you back. And thank you, for not trying to hide your feelings from me. Thank you for not lying to me about it, because the love you have for him is evident in your eyes. I didn't know this kind of love exists, but now I do. You and Zaid would make the cutest couple," she says, hugging me.