Ch. 3

Peter's POV

After school, I decided to go over to Ned's house. I called Mr. Stark, but he didn't answer so I just left a message. I also texted him, just to make sure he knew not to come pick me up. I had actually called him during lunch so he wouldn't drive out here at all and since I didn't see any of his cars in the parking lot, I assumed he got the message.

Ned and I rode the bus to his house. His mom wasn't home yet, but his little sister was so we locked ourselves in his bedroom.

"Dude, what's it like living with Tony Stark?" Ned asked. I shrugged, looking over his LEGO collection. "Come on, man. Give me more than just a--" he shrugged. I rolled my eyes and flopped down on his bed.

"It's cool, I guess," I replied. Ned gave me a look that said my answer wasn't satisfactory, so I sat up to explain more. "I go over every weekend, so I have my own room which is pretty neat. It's right by Tony's. He also made me my own little area in his lab so I can work down there with him." Just as I expected, Ned found that to be the coolest thing in the world.  After a dozen or so questions, I made him change the subject to something unrelated to Mr. Stark. 

Ned's mom got home around 4:00PM.  She said hello to us then left us alone which was nice.  I ended up staying for dinner, too.  Mrs. Leeds made the best home cooked meals.  Aunt May always tried to, but she wasn't a very good chef and we both knew it. 

"So, Peter, I heard May is out of town,"  Mrs. Leeds said, reaching for the salad bowl.  I nodded, taking a bite of the spaghetti casserole she had made.  "Where are you staying?  Surely you're not all alone." 

"No,"  I said.  I wiped my mouth before continuing.  "I'm staying with a friend."  I didn't know how she would react to knowing it was Mr. Stark, but I guess Ned didn't care. 

"He's staying with Tony Stark,"  Ned exclaimed.  Mrs. Leeds glared at him for speaking with his mouth full then turned to me with a shocked expression.  I felt my face get warm. 

"You know Tony Stark?"  she asked.  I nodded, but just a little.  It was always awkward when people asked; especially if they were adults.  Just like all the other adults I told, Mrs. Leeds didn't seem to believe me.  She didn't say anything, but I could see it in her face so I just busied myself with eating. 

We had just finished dinner and Ned and I were doing the dishes when the doorbell rang.  Ned and I glanced at each other, wondering who that would be, when Ned's little sister pulled open the door.  She just gasped as she looked up at whoever was at the door.  I couldn't see who it was though because the kitchen cabinets blocked my view.  However, I knew who it was as soon as the visitor cleared their throat. 

"Hey,"  Mr. Stark said.  "Is Peter here?"  I didn't hear a verbal reply, but a few seconds later, Mr. Stark was standing in the kitchen watching me and Ned do the dishes. 

"Hi, Mr. Stark,"  I said.  I dried my hands with a towel then turned to face him.  "What are you doing here?" 

"I texted you,"  he told me.  He held up his phone and I reached in my back pocket for mine, but didn't feel it.  "About two dozen times actually.  You didn't reply so I had FRIDAY track your phone here." 

"I must have left my phone in Ned's room,"  I told him.  He rolled his eyes and stepped to the side.  "I'll go get my stuff,"  I mumbled.  I hurried into Ned's room and grabbed my phone and backpack before meeting back up with Mr. Stark in the living room. 

Mrs. Leeds was standing next to Ned in shock.  She just stared at Mr. Stark while he talked to Ned about science and whatnot.  When they spotted me returning, they stopped their conversation.  Mr. Stark grinned and clapped his hands. 

"Ready to go home, Pete?"  he asked.  I nodded and waved to Ned and Mrs. Leeds. 

"Thank you for the food, Mrs. Leeds!"  I called, following Mr. Stark out the door.  She briefly raised her hand at me, but Ned shut the door before she could say anything.