Ch. 9

Tony's POV

I almost didn't wake Peter up in the morning.  I knew he would be miserable all day and I didn't like seeing him like that.  It was awful.  He was supposed to be the ball of joy and I was supposed to be the miserable one, not both of us. 

"Come on, Peter,"  I said, shaking him awake.  "Time to get up."  Peter groaned and threw his arm over his eyes.  I shook him again then stood up.  "I know you don't want to, but the sooner the day starts, the sooner it's over."  Peter opened his eyes and forced himself to sit up.  Once I was sure he wouldn't be going back to sleep, I left the room to go make breakfast. 
Peter came out nearly forty-five minutes later in the suit I had gotten him and wet hair.  He was struggling to do his cufflinks, so I motioned for him to let me do it.  He immediately let me do it and then let me tie his tie, too.  Once I finished, he sat down at the counter for breakfast while I went to get dressed. 

The funeral would start about an hour after Peter and I arrived.  I had to be there early since Happy couldn't and since I had no intention of letting Peter take the subway or try to skip out, I was taking him with me.  That's why we arrived at the funeral home at exactly 10:00 AM. 

"Can I just leave?"  Peter asked.  I gave him a look and he slumped down in his seat.  "I shouldn't be here.  She shouldn't have left me like this." 

"I know, Peter,"  I said.  He glared at me, but I didn't back off.  "She shouldn't have done this to you, but life isn't always fair.  Now, you're going to go to the funeral even if I have to drag you in there, but I don't think I'll have to, will I?"  Peter shook his head.  "Good.  Let's go."  I got out of the car and waited for Peter to follow me.  He did, muttering under his breath about how May was selfish for dying and how she shouldn't have just abandoned him like his parents had.  I didn't say anything, knowing he was moving on through the stages of grief.  The last thing I wanted to do was make things worse, so I just stayed silent. 

"Hey, Tony,"  Rhodey greeted.  He looked at Peter who refused to make eye contact.  Rhodey glanced at me and I shrugged. 

"He's in the anger phase,"  I told him.  Peter glared at me, proving my point, then went back to staring at the ground.  Rhodey nodded then turned to Peter. 

"Hey, Peter,"  he said.  Peter glanced up at him briefly then looked away again.  "One of the pallbearers bailed out.  Would you be willing to help carry May's casket?" 

"We don't even have her body, why do we have a casket?"  Peter demanded.  He had a point. 

"Respect,"  I told him. 

"Mr. Stark can do it,"  Peter told Rhodey.  "He seemed to like May."  With that, Peter stalked off into the church, leaving Rhodey and me standing outside. 

"Dude, he is just like you,"  Rhodey said.  I glared at him but he just smiled.  "I'm just saying.  Maybe a DNA test." 

"Not the time, Rhodey,"  I said.  Rhodey nodded and walked with me into the church.