15.Are we official now?

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

It's been a few days since I have seen Anika.My work schedule isn't of much help either, as by the time I reach home it's too late.She seems to be busy prepping for her upcoming project as I don't see her in the morning as well.Looks like neither of us wants to have a clear confrontation regarding our feelings considering the other night when we acted on our desire for each other.I hope she isn't coming to Meera's farewell party,today.I am a coward and I regret it.My feelings are profound but yet I can't act upon it.It's either I choose to be selfish and confront my feelings towards her or be selfless enough to draw some distance between us to protect her from the monster that I am.

It wasn't much of a party,it was more like a get-together for friends whom Meera knew.Most of them were my employees.I try to be the friendly employer that I am but few times the asshole in me surfaces.Meera is more of an extrovert and she was the first person I befriended when I moved in to my apartment for the very first time.She was a struggling photographer and was in need of an employment.I decided to hire her and since then she has been one of my good friend.Gradually she had introduced me to her boyfriend,Kabir.He and I became friends in a matter of few minutes since our likes and dislikes are more or less the same.

Since Meera was busy attending her friends,Kabir and I decided to move towards the balcony for some fresh air.Neither of us were very keen on socializing today for very different reasons.He was grieving over the fact that his girlfriend wouldn't be with him for the next few months and I was distracted because of a woman who apparently lived next door to mine.

"When did you start to smoke?"I asked as he lighted one of the cigars from his pocket.

"Just a few weeks back.Don't tell Meera,she will freak out."He said as he took a puff of his cigar.

"I don't need to remind you about the effects since it's clearly mentioned on the packet."I said menacingly.

"I don't do it on a daily basis,just at times when I am stressed.There are a few issues with the brand,who I was supposed to sign with.Broadcasting has a few issues as well and moreover Meera is leaving tomorrow."

"It's just a few months Kabir.In no time,you two wil be back together."I tried comforting him.

"It's not about the time,it's complicated-,you won't understand."He said.His hands rested on either side of his head with the cigar in between his fingers as if he was experiencing a headache.I snatched the cigar from his hand and threw it in the dustbin nearby.

"Try me,"I said,looking into his eyes as he looked at me with despair and anger.

"You know Meera and she is a person who can't stay at a place for a long time,be it relationship or anything for that matter.When we started dating,I knew we weren't going to last more than a year and surprisingly we have managed to last for three years.Once she gets a taste of the world she is stepping into,she won't look back.Her career is all about travelling and I want a life where I can settle down with her and probably have kids and family in the future-"He sighed and looked up in the sky as if he had no hope.

"Three years is like a lifetime,idiot.As far as her career is concerned,you guys can find a middle ground where she can experience both the sides of the world."I reasoned.

"Have you spoken with her regarding this?"I asked.

"No,I haven't.I don't want her getting the wrong idea.It's not that I am trying to discourage her from taking this internship.I really want her to pursue her passion and succeed in it.I really love her,man.But Shivaay,it's not as easy as you make it sound either."