Safe

Taylor's shaking me and telling me to get downstairs when I wake up. I, relunctunatly, get out of bed. These freaks are disgusting. I don't eat at breakfast, and Taylor screams at me.

"Emmie, either you eat that meat and eggs, or you starve for the day. Your choice." He finally tells me.

"Think I'd rather starve, Taylor." I yell.

Suddenly, I remember the knife under my pillow upstairs. I'm getting out of here one way or another. Tonight.

"Fine. Girls, make sure Emmie doesn't eat anything at all today." Noah tells Jenny and Lindsay.

"Will do." They say in unison.

The second they leave, Lindsay turns to me.

"I'm not gonna let you starve." She whispers.

"Emmie, get started on the floors. Lindsay, dishes. I'll start sewing the boys jeans." Jenny says.

"Meet me upstairs after chores." Lindsay tells me once Jenny is out of earshot.

Within 2 hours, all of our chores were done. I told Jenny I was going to read up in my room, and bumped into Lindsey in the hallway.

"Here are some granola bars. They don't know I have these, but Gabe bought them for me when I got pregnant with Jared." She whispered.

I greedily ate two of the six she gave me.

"Be sure to hide them. Eat them ONLY when you need to, I have none left." She says.

"Do you want to get out, too?" I ask.

"I love it here. I love my family. Jenny is more of a mother to me than my own mother." Lindsey tells me.

"What? You can't honestly think that. She's delusional." I say.

"Their traditions are weird, yes. But they're great people. Gabe gave me a perfect little boy, and we might have another on the way. I love my life!" She says.

"Well, anyway... thank you for the granola bars. I appreciate it."