38

Earlier that day

Earlier that day

I didn't sleep very well last night. The nightmare took a toll on my body, I managed to get a couple of hours of sleep but I would flinch awake every now and then, when the clock hit 6:40 am. I gently removed my body from Evelina's.

She is sleeping peacefully, her plump lips slightly parted and her hair splashed over the pillows behind her. She stirs a bit and I worry that I might've woken her up, but she turns to her side the sheets move down to her waist exposing her naked skin. If it weren't for how things ended last night and how exhausted I am right now, I would've spread her legs and licked her until she wakes up begging me to fuck her.

I can't do it. Not today.

I pull the sheets over her body tucking her in. I kiss her cheek and head to the bathroom to shower. I wash my body thoroughly and wrap a towel around my waist after I'm done. I stare at my reflection in the mirror, this week is always difficult. For the past twenty four years, whenever the dreadful anniversary of her death approaches I lose myself completely.

My mother was my life, she was the most beautiful woman inside and out. She was kind to everyone, her and dad participated in many charities she even built a orphanage and used to visit the orphans every Monday. I never understood why would someone take her from us. What did she do to deserve such a painful death?

Images from her dead body flashes through my head. Her lifeless eyes staring back at mine. Shit. I place my hand over the sink tight, my knuckles turning white as I press hard.

She was stabbed 23 times in the abdomen. And the detectives on the case said that she fought hard, she had many defensive wounds and the crime scene told the story of the horrors she suffered. And because I touched her body and shook her trying to wake her up, and it was never said to me directly but I read it secretly in the articles it said that I contaminated the crime scene. I always blamed myself for the cops inability to find her killer.

I merely wanted to bring her back to life by moving her. I wasn't thinking straight.

I would do anything to have her again to sit with her and tell her all about what I've achieved.

Taking a deep breathe, I start putting on my navy suit. I can't let this affect me, I have a job to do. A family to take care of and a wife to cherish.

After I'm dressed, I head for the door to leave the room I take one last glance at the beautiful woman who's been occupying my bed for the last couple of nights. I'll never forget the terrified look she had on her face as she tried to wake me up. I must apologize for scaring her, I should've warned her that this might happen. I leave the room gently closing the door behind me.

I decide not to have breakfast at home and leave immediately. And on my way to work, I stop at the flower shop and buy two white roses bouquets. One for my mum and the other for my wife. I place a card in each bouquet and ask the florist to deliver the bouquet to Evelina's shop in the evening.