Fifteen

Caden's POV

"You think I wrote that?" Blake seemed to be frowning at me like I had personally thrown his ass under a bus. Which I would. I really really would, the first chance I get. "You think I would want to have a go at you while I'm behind the fucking bars?"

"Yeah," I said. "Wouldn't you?"

He laughed and I curled my right hand into a fist, wanting to hurt him, feel his lip splitting under the punch that I'll be throwing at his face.

"Well, I would." He replied. And that bastard would've shrugged if he wasn't still tied up under those ropes. "But at the same time, brother, I think that you may have mistaken me for someone who gives a shit about your life. I don't. I never did."

I sat down across from him, placing my forearms on my pulled-up knees. The same spot, I realised a bit belatedly, where I'd found Skylar just days ago. Days ago. Bloody fucking days.

"Fuck." I gritted out and then glared at Blake. "You think I don't know what shit you've been pulling behind those same bars, just so you could somehow get your hands on that metal disk?"

Nothing made sense. I hadn't planned on keeping Blake here for weeks. I'd only wanted answers that he wasn't willing to give. Being a stubborn fuck all over again and ruining things.

God, when would I stop ruining things?

Blake rolled his eyes, wrists experimentally rolling under the ropes as if he was still hoping they'd loosen by themselves.

"I do still want my hands on that metal disk." He said. "Gee, you got me there. But, this sure as fuck wasn't me so can you open these damned ropes and let me breathe?"

"I can see you're breathing just fine."

He tugged on the ropes and it was rather satisfying--the anger. "I don't understand the point of kidnapping me!"

"I still can tighten them a little more, Blake." I leaned a little forward, gesturing at his rather filthy state. "Make breathing a little harder, if that's what you prefer."

He glared, jaw working furiously and I knew, just knew whatever he'd be saying next would piss me the fuck off.

"It's sad, isn't it?" He sneered. "I can count at least seven people that left you, just because of how messed up your life is. Did Skylar finally finish things off with you too?"

I dragged a hand down my face, slowly breathing in. This wasn't it, I told myself. He just wanted me to stand up and fight. I knew Blake. Sometimes I knew him more than the bastard knew himself.

"How many more people before you learn, Caden?" He hissed. "How many more before you realise that your sorry excuse of a father ruined any chance of you having a decent life?"

"He was your father too." I shrugged.

He ignored me but I could see the way he clenched his fists. "Don't you get nightmares, thinking of all those times someone got shot right in between their eyes just because they made a mistake of knowing you?"

I would've laughed if I wasn't so tired. Exhausted. It has been hours, hours since I'd been wasting my time here, watching Blake twisting his way around my words just to rile me up. Not giving me the fucking answers I needed.

Nightmares, I thought. Why were we talking about nightmares?

"I do, and I can tell you all about them when you are behind the bars again," I said. "Does that make a fair deal?"