𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝓈𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓃𝓉𝑒𝑒𝓃

•*•

.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.

"You must understand that this was a strange request," Daphne whispers. Her and Haymitch were standing in a dark closet, the space so small she was almost touching him. "Why the hell a closet?"

He looked around one last time, even though Daphne couldn't see more than vague silhouettes. "You never know who's listening," he stated, then settled against the wall. "Glad you could make it."

"If you're trying to hit on me, first off, terrible timing, second --"

He barked out a laugh, quickly silencing himself. "You've heard about the riots."

Daphne began to feel uneasy, as if they shouldn't be discussing something like this so close to Snow's ears. "Yeah," she whispered. "We thought about playing some cards, make all the districts riot." It had been an early plan, but both Blight and Johanna had been more than happy to join and get their friends involved. Although to Daphne, there had been too many variables to believe it safe enough. She tried to push those feeling down.

"That's a start," he answered. "Now, what if I told you there was a way you could get your precious little Johanna out as well as other tributes and start a rebellion?"

She couldn't quite believe her ears, no one had ever tried to do anything like that. Who would even dare? Who had enough power and resources? "How'd you plan on doing that?" It seemed like something that would only work in a dream, something she wouldn't even dare the dream about.

In the dim light, she saw Haymitch smile. "District 13 is alive," he breathed, as if he didn't dare say it too loud, despite the location of their talk. "They have hoovers, they have the power to end this all."

It was quite a shock, something Daphne didn't dare to believe, but why would Haymitch lie? Why would he lie to someone who was in the same boat as him? "I'm assuming you're not just letting me know," she answered, pushing the shock back. "You want something in return."

"13 wants something in return," he corrected. "They want Katniss alive. They want her to be the Mockingjay."

Daphne knew she had a certain power, knew that Katniss was the best way to get everyone on board. "She'll want Peeta, she won't do shit without him," Daphne filled in the gaps. "So what's the plan? They get in the arena and 13 saves them?"

He shook his head. "They have to wait for the right moment. The forcefield needs to be weakened, if possible, shut down. You shouldn't worry your pretty little head about that. What you need to do for me if convince Johanna. We need to keep Katniss and Peeta alive long enough to save them. They can look after themselves, but we need a way to communicate. Someone to protect them."

That sounded dangerous. Daphne frowned, tugging her bottom lip between her teeth. It would be dangerous, but it'd be Johanna's only chance of making it back. Of them having the life Daphne saw in the rare daydream. "I'll bring it up to her," she decided. It wasn't her choice to make, anyway. "I'll let her know, and I'll tell you whatever she says."

He nodded, a fresh smile breaking on his face. "Great. I'm looking forward to it."

***

Johanna was late. The air was cool and the wind was blazing. The flowers seemed to be in a permanent bloom, something Daphne wasn't going to complain about. She'd asked the tribute to meet with her without much of an explanation. The roof felt like a safe space; if they talked in hushed voices, the wind would certainly carry their secrets away, giving them a cover.

She didn't know the many hiding spaces that probably were available, so the roof was the safest option, although Johanna had raised her eyebrows with suspicion. Daphne was beginning to think she was not coming, although that wasn't very Johanna-like. At least when it came to Daphne.

Finally, the doors opened, showing Johanna with her typical smirk. "So you didn't bail on me," Daphne said with a smile, leaning against the railing, her curls blowing in her face as she turned around.

Johanna came closer, soon joining her at the railing. "On you? Wouldn't dare," she looked out over the city she despised. The city they both hated. "What did you want to talk about?"

The wind did make her voice softer, but Daphne wasn't sure if it was enough. Whispering in each other's ears might be suspicious if someone saw them, so instead, Daphne smiled, her hand reaching for the flower pot. She plucked a white daisy, hoping Johanna wouldn't punch her, she tucked it behind her ear.

"What the hell are you doing?" Johanna pulled her head back, but Daphne gave her a look that somehow made her stop. She didn't know any of her looks could make her do that.

"Hug me," she whispered, looking up at her friend through her eyelashes. "Just do it."

Despite being utterly confused about what the hell was going on, Johanna hugged Daphne. It was purely so they could talk, but still, her insides twisted and a familiar, fluttery feeling settled as she turned her head into the crook of Johanna's neck.

"No one can know about this," she breathed through a mouthful of hair, her grip on the woman firm. "There's a lot to tell you, but I think Haymitch will do a better job. 13 is alive, they'll help to raise a rebellion. They can save you from the arena."

"Why would they do that?" She whispered back. There was no time to be shocked.

"I don't know, they can benefit from it, too, I suppose."

"They're not doing it for free, are they?"

Daphne shook her head lightly. "They want Katniss as the Mockingjay. To start riots, rebellions. You'd have to keep her alive. Peeta too, then."

Johanna gave a dry chuckle. "Are you serious?"

"I didn't say you'd do it or that should do it. It is your best chance of making it out alive. At stirring something. You wanted that, didn't you?"

She was silent for so long, yet not letting go. Daphne didn't mind, if she could, she'd remain like that for the rest of her life, she didn't see a problem with that. Eventually, she spoke again. "I'll have to see what the Girl on Fire is worth."

Then, she let go, the flower dangling in her hair. Daphne nodded. "Okay, just do whatever you want, you'll make it out either way," sometimes, Daphne felt like she wouldn't. The careers were strong, and then there was Finnick, and of course the most recent winners. "Just come back."The desperation in her voice, the raw emotion, surprised Daphne maybe even more than it did Johanna.

Johanna Mason wasn't one for fake promises, wouldn't say or promise anything she wasn't certain of or wouldn't die trying. She wanted to come back, she wanted to live, although life had seemed useless at moments. There was no way she wouldn't try to make it out, wouldn't try to come back to where ever it was that Daphne was, because, even though she hated to think of the possibility, Daphne Westerfall had made life bearable again. Some days even seemed worth living with her by her side.

So it was not a lie anymore when she said; "I want to."

.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.

(a/n): school is canceled and guess what? i'm still not writing