𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝓉𝓌𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓎 𝓉𝒽𝓇𝑒𝑒

•*•

.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.

When Daphne entered the quarters after a stroll, she was met with Daniel. She'd expected him to react the way he did, and she wished she could have walked longer without causing suspicion.

"I'm not feeling it," Daphne said, turning away from the man who looked betrayed, excited, and about to scream. "Can't it wait?"

"No!" Daniel said, moving faster than she'd ever see him move before, blocking her way. "It can't, what exactly was that? I knew you were friends with Johanna, but that's not a friendly reaction!"

Despite everything, she blushed. If Daniel knew, everyone would know. "What do you mean?" She knew what he meant, but didn't want to acknowledge it. She wished she didn't have to do anything at all. Wished no one had seen it, but everyone had. And those who hadn't would be forced to watch a handful of reruns later on. All of Panem would know how she felt, and whatever was going on between them would be exposed.

Everyone knowing wasn't the biggest problem they were faced with, but all Daphne could see were the disadvantages she'd given Johanna and herself.

"Daphne!" Daniel gasped, yet a smile made a way over to his face. "You have to tell me, it'll be the gossip of the week, anyway!"

Shaking her head, she tried to get past him, but he wouldn't let her. "Daniel, I don't want to talk about it now. Leave me alone --"

The elevator slid open as Daphne pushed the escort away, Haymitch's eyebrows shot up. "I'm not interrupting, am I?"

"Of course not," Daniel said, straightening his jacket. "I should let you guys come up with a plan, we'll talk later, Daphne."

He winked at her, brushing past Haymitch into the elevator. As he vanished from her sight, Daphne relaxed just a bit, sighing deeply. "Why are these people such freaks," she finally slipped her shoes off. "Where's Coral?"

"Getting Manon, the district 3 mentor. She'll be here in a moment," Haymitch watched as she took the pins from her hair and tossed them on a little table along with the heavy jewelry. "I must say your acting skills are better you said."

For a moment, Daphne didn't understand what he was saying. Without realizing it, she'd participated in their plan. She hoped they were right about the positive outcomes. Daniel certainly seemed distracted. "Right," Daphne said, taking her earrings off. "Hope I convinced you."

"You certainly did, I'm afraid it was a bit... too real,"

Before Daphne could ask what he meant, the elevator slipped open once more. Coral and an older woman stepped out, greeting Haymitch and Daphne with warm smiles.

"Well, there they are," Haymitch smiled at the women, leading them in as if it were his floor.

Feeling a little out of place, Daphne trailed behind, sitting on the couch with the older mentors. Her father had offered to come, but she had a strange relationship with him, and while it would be helpful with the planning, she was glad she was alone.