𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝓉𝓌𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓎

•*•

.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.

Eventually, Daphne must have dozed off, because when she woke up, she was alone in Johanna's bed. Maybe it was for the better, because if she hadn't been, she wouldn't have known what to do, anyways.

With a heavy feeling, she got dressed and slipped into her own room to put clothes on. She dreaded breakfast, yet couldn't imagine not attending. She didn't want to face Johanna, but wouldn't be able to live with herself if she did not.

When the Games had just been in the near future, it had been easier to focus on the now, but the now was the games, and ignorance was no longer an option.

Daphne found her hands to be shaking as she walked the hallway that, for the first time, seemed to drag on for miles, but not long enough at the same time. Wiping her hands on her pants, she took a deep breath as she neared the dining area. Daniel and Johanna were already at the table, a heavy silence draped around them that even Daniel didn't want to fill with his idle chatter.

Blight was nowhere in sight, but the sun was still softly rising. "Morning," Daphne said, walking to the table, her hands wrapped in fists because the shaking wouldn't stop. Taking the chair next to Johanna, she wanted to ask certain things, but not a sound was made. She wanted to ask how she was doing, but it seemed like a shitty thing to do. She wanted to fill the room with light nonsense, but that wasn't like her at all.

So instead, Daphne reached for Johanna's hand under the table, giving it a hopefully reassuring squeeze. The woman didn't say anything, but squeezed her hand back, and to Daphne, that was better than any words she could have said.

While the silence was pressing, Daniel's chatter wasn't welcome, even when he tried. Seeming to be able to read the room for once, he stopped as soon as he began.

"I'd better be getting Blight, he'll need a good breakfast," he left the table and the women behind, and Daphne instantly turned to Johanna, although she didn't have anything to say. Not really.

"Can you believe him?" Johanna said, scoffing as she toyed with her toast. "A good breakfast." She laughed without much feeling, resting her head on her hand.

"You'll be okay, Johanna," Daphne said, even though she couldn't fully believe it herself. "You'll get out of there, and we'll bring everyone to their knees. Together."

Shaking her head, Johanna said: "Easy for you to say."

Biting her lip, Daphne nodded. While she couldn't truly understand what was going through Johanna's head, she could almost grasp it, she'd been in a similar situation, but she didn't have hope then, and now there was just a glimmer of hope, something they could pull themselves up with, a lifeline to stop them from drowning. "I know, I'm sorry. It's just... there's hope. It's something."