Chapter Twelve

February 17, 2020

Alcina

We took in a long breath, as it walked closer to us. We looked at each other, then at the shadow demon. Shelia had the look of fear in her eyes which sent me over the edge. We were at a disadvantage if this guy wanted to attack us.

None of us said a word as the shadow stopped below us. The burning sensation around my neck increased to the point of undeniable pain. Then the shadow looked up at us, his red eyes gleaming into my soul. Sheila jumped, pulling me to the ground.

She took her shield off her back and held it out in front of her, now on the ground. The shadow squared us off. "Run Alcina! I'll hold it here!" I drew out my knives, they were long dragon blades that I had stolen from a merchants cart on the coast.

"No. I'm not leaving you here!" I shouted, holding my knives out. I didn't know what these things would do against a shadow, but I had to try. I knew what this shadow could do. I've seen it before. I couldn't leave Sheila to deal with that alone.

"Run Alcina!" The shadow took a step closer to us. I pressed my chest against Sheila's back, protected by her large black shield. The shadow raised his blade into the air, and we ducked down.

The blade clashed with the shield making an ear defining noise. We were thrown backward, sliding against the ground. Sheila flew to one side of the hall, while I was pushed to the other side.

The shadow made eye contact with me and started to quickly walk towards me. I scrambled to my feet, my blades were drawn. "No Alcina!"

That's when I took a good look at Sheila, before taking a side step back. "Go get someone. I'll be at the gate." Then I turned on my heel and started booking it down the hall. The shadow man now running behind me.

I couldn't deal with the pain of the key burning into my skin, knife in hand, I wanted to ripped it off its chain, but it wouldn't budge. It was like a chain around my neck. "You cannot run forever." I heard an ancient voice behind me say. "But I can, Alcina Willith." He knew my name. Chills went down my body as I turned the corner.

"What do you want from me?" I gasped out, grabbing a vase from off the table, throwing it behind me. I heard the glass shatter, but the footsteps continued. I must have either missed, or it went through him.

"The key." I looked down at my neck. This thing was more trouble than it was worth. If he wanted this, he can have it. My life is worth more than this key, regardless of what it unlocks.

The gate was coming up, and I ran and pressed my back to it. The door handle in my hand. "Stop!" I raised out another hand with my knife in it. I was out of breath, "are you going to kill me?"

I saw a glowing red smile come onto his face. He nodded his head. "You are going to kill me for this key?" He started walking closer and closer.

"Yes. That's an important key." I looked at the beautiful black key that had red jewels all over it.

"Why do you want it?" Then I thought about what I said. "What does it do?"

"Turns mortals insane."

"I'm not insane."

He paused his step, his sword freezing by his side. I watched his head tilt to the side, the smile gone from his face. He reached out a shadow hand and before I could escape to the shelter of gate room like the plan was he grasped my face. I was left frozen in my place.

    "Alcina!" I heard Sheila scream in horror from down the hall. I looked into the shadowy red eyes of my probable assassin.

    I let out a breath from out of my nose. I raised a fist to punch the living sh*t out of it. Like hell I'd let someone turn me into ash without giving a fight. He looked at fist, and as if it was in slow motion, he dropped his sword with a clang, reaching out to my necklace.

As he grabbed my necklace, he whispered, "you are not insane." Then disappeared into the key.

Seconds later, it felt as if a pack of wolves jumped onto me. "Alcina!" Sheila wrapped her arms around me, taking me to the floor. "Alcina, oh my gods." She hugged me tighter to herself. I sat there wide-eyed at the Queen hugging me. Slowly I wrapped my arms around her, not knowing what really to do.

My eyes were glued to the sword that the shadow had left when he had disappeared. Sheila leaned back and looked me dead in the eyes, before scanning my body. "Do you have any injuries?" She said grabbing my shoulders and looking me up and down.

"No." I shook my head. "No, I'm fine. Nothing happened." Shiela let out a sigh of relief and leaned her forehead on my shoulder.

"Gods, the second you took off running with that thing following behind you..." she squeezed my shoulders. "All I could think of was if you died." She leaned back once more, "you aren't doing something like that again!"

I laughed at this, "I'll try," while patting her on the back.

We sat there for a while, then a thought came to my mind. I leaned my head against the door, "what are we going to tell Cebrus?"

"Well, he should be here soo—" Then all of a sudden, two figures rushed around the corner. It was Zaivinth and a very stressed Cebrus. How in the world did Sheila beat him here?

"Alcina!" He ran and slid towards me. "Are you okay?" He grabbed my cheeks while Sheila moved out of the way.

"Why do you attract so much danger?" He said pulling me to his arms and picking me up. He cradled me in his arms keeping me close. "I think we need to go home." He said looking down at me in his arms.

Home. I didn't have a home. I looked at the walls, "I can walk you know."

"I feel better like this." He said giving me a tight squeeze. And that was that. Then I remembered something.

"Wait!" I turned around in his arms. "Grab that sword!" He turned and followed where I was pointing. It was the fallen shadow man's sword.

"What sword?" He was looking directly at the ground. "The one right in front of you. On the floor." I pointed at the sword once more. He turned towards me with a puzzled look.

"Love, there is no sword."

When there is school tomorrow...

—When there is school tomorrow

ms-ePxTji.gif

Why do you think nobody can see it?

Do you like the sisterly relationship Sheila and Alcina have?

Where do you think Xion is?

COMMENT AND VOTE PWEASE