XLIII

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄 | Unknowns

{ Lyra }

✧✦✧

𝕾unlight cast a golden glow over the steps to the Sept of Baelor, as the nobles bowed their heads in respect for the king and queen. Lyra huffed, resting a hand on her small bump as she cursed internally at the steps and the heat. Joffrey glanced at her from the corner of his eyes, squeezing her hand lightly as they reached the top of the steps. 

"Let us mourn in private," He murmured to the High Septon, as Lyra smiled briefly at Margaery. "Then, others may enter to pay their respects."

"Of course, Your Grace," The High Septon bowed, as the royal couple continued into the main hall of the sept, where Tywin Lannister's body lay.

"Thank the gods we have finished with those stairs," Lyra murmured, as Joffrey sent her a small smile. "My ankles were protesting all the way up."

"I'll have someone carry you down,"

"That would be appreciated," Lyra replied, shooting him another soft smile as she squeezed his arm. "Let's go and pay our respects and then leave."

"You do not enjoy paying your respects?" Joffrey asked, turning to look at her with raised eyebrows.

"We pay our respect to the dead when they are good and buried," Lyra muttered. "We don't parade their dead body around and leave it in a room with stones over their eyes. I just find it all..."

She trailed off, before making a hand gesture as Joffrey rolled his eyes.

"I see," She nodded her head, as Joffrey squeezed her hands. "What happens when I die?"

"I'll bury you and then pay my respects," She retorted, as Joffrey chuckled under his breath. "If I have to see your dead body, embalmed on a tombstone in the middle of statues so people can go around and touch you, I will simply leave."

"How romantic," Joffrey replied, shaking his head. "Thank you."

"You better bury me if I die first," Lyra muttered as they descended further into the steps. "If I find that you displayed my decaying body on a slab in this place then I shall come back and haunt you."

"Duly noted," Joffrey replied, before they finally came to the bottom of the Sept, where Tywin Lannister lay in his formal clothes, stones over his eyes and a sword resting on his chest.

The elder Lannisters were already in the hall, their faces sour and tension enveloped the two rulers. Joffrey coughed to alert his parents that they were there.