Chapter 17

Dave's POV
It's been a week since Chloé and I started dating and I haven't felt this happy in a long while. I stayed back for soccer practice after school today and I wish I could've stayed longer.

My house is hell. My dad is a drunkard and is hardly at home. Comes back mostly at night, drunk, and then takes out all his frustrations on my mom by hitting her. That's why I'm mostly at Jason's with my sister.

I need to save money to get an apartment but my mom won't let me work. And besides I have school and football practice taking up most of my time.

Sometimes, when things are really messy I take Rielle to her friend, Michelle's house to have a sleepover while I sleep in my car. I can handle my dad but I always have to make sure my sister is safe. That's what mom always says.

I get into the house and everywhere is quiet. Things got worse lately so Rielle is at Michelle's. I go to my room to have a shower and come back downstairs.

Something is not right. I head to the kitchen to get water and I find mom lying on the floor. Lifeless. Pieces of glass around her. I begin to panic. I get water and pour on her and still no response. Thankfully, she's breathing. She needs medical attention so I carry her to my car.

I wish I had checked around for her earlier. Only God knows how long she's passed out. She was hit by my dad with a bottle. My mom has always been strong but this time around she fainted.

If only I had money to take her somewhere else. All of this is my fault. I drive into the nearest hospital and carry her out in my arms.

A nurse comes with a slider board and rolls her into the hospital. What will happen to my mom. What if she doesn't make it. How will I take care of my sister. I wish I got a job and didn't listen to her.

I dropped my name and phone number with the nurse and left the vicinity. I needed some fresh air.

I remember when Jason got into drugs, he made a lot of money within a short time even though money wasn't his problem. But now it's mine and that's the kind of opportunity I need.
And I know exactly who to call.

I head back to the hospital to get updated about mom now that money is no longer a problem. When I entered the hospital, I just realized how expensive it'll be. It is one of the best hospitals in Atlanta.

"Are you the one that brought the lady in?" the nurse asks when I approach her. "Yes" I reply. "The doctor wants to see you" she says directing me to the doctor's office.

I enter the office and take my seat. "I'm doctor Morris. How are you related to the patient?" The doctor says to me. "I'm her son"

"Your mother has been unconscious for over 5 hours, she would have been awake now if she was brought to the hospital earlier. There are minor injuries. Seems like she was hit by a glass because we saw the particles on her. She's alive but in a comma and we can't tell when she'll wake up"

I listen quietly absorbing all the words he said. Over 5 hours means dad came earlier today unlike usual. "What happened to her was either and accident or physical abuse. Therefore, the police has to be involved and they're already on their way" he continues . I don't protest. After what happened, I would have gone to the police myself to report my father. I knew it will happen one day so I just have to face it now.

"She needs to be observed closely so she'll be transferred out of the E-R to a ward upstairs. After you meet with the police you can head over there to see her" he finishes. I nod my head and walk out of the office.

I'm a little scared of talking to the police now that I want to go into something illegal. The first thing I have to do is to head over to find out the price for the service.

After that I met with the police men and told them about my father and how he's been abusing mom. I gave them a picture of him. Then I went to meet my mom.

She looked so pale lying on the hospital bed, eyes closed. Almost like she was dead. How could he do this to her. And abandon her after she collapsed. He deserves to rot in jail.

A call comes in from Chloé but I ignore it. I can't face her right now and I have a business to attend to. Instead I call Deveron. He'll link me up with the drug dealers.

I realize the wind is strong this night when I walk out. I call Rielle and tell her to stay over again. Thank God Michelle's parents are okay with it.

I've gotten the address of where to go to. I get into my car and speed off. I really need this money for my mother to survive.

The address takes me to the outskirts of the city. The house looks abandoned and deserted. I come out of my car and walk to the door. And take a deep breath. "This is the only choice I have for my mother to live" I say to reassure myself. I knock at the door.

A black guy, bald with full beards comes out. "What are you looking for" He asks His voice alone is scary. "I need to make money quick" I say. He eyes me then opens the door wider and lets me in.

After we talked we had a conclusion. I'll help him distribute drugs around Atlanta and they take care of the hospital bill, give me an apartment and 50,000 dollars after my mother has been discharged. I couldn't have gotten a better deal. I give him my number and leave there. Everything is settled for now. I'll sleep over at Jason's today but without Chloé knowing. I can't face her. She won't understand.

******************************************
Life isn't a bed of roses I guess.
Just when things started getting better this had to happen.
Share your thoughts.
Vote and Comment
Mavi✨