Book 2- chapter 6

Andrea's POV
After Adrian dropped me off, I went straight to my room to rest. My mom kept on checking up on me. She's a doctor just like her dad but I can't even think of becoming one. I hate the sight of blood.

I get tired of lying in bed so I decide to go to work. I have a shift today. "And what do you think you're doing out of bed?" My mom asks as soon as she spots me. Sigh.

"I'm going to work mom" I say casually. "You just fainted and you say you're going to work. Call them and say you can't make it"

"I didn't just faint. That was yesterday night and I'm better now" I say. After the debate, the finally let me go.

Hours of working made me forget about what happened yesterday. I really like my job and now, I'm learning how to make different kinds of coffee too. Jonah has been here for the past one hour. He's in a corner doing his assignments and says we should talk after my shift. I really don't want to explain myself for leaving early yesterday.

"You need a break. Let's go and ask my mom if you can take 15 minutes off" Jonah says to me. I don't want to take advantage that I'm a friend to my boss's son but I'm tired so I agree.

He leads me to the back where she stays and I see her and Adrian. "Come on mom. Let me at least..." Adrian says but stops when he sees me. Is Janelle Adrian's mom?! Is he Jonah's brother?!

I'm wearing the uniform so it shows I work here. "What are you doing here?" He asks me coldly then looks at Jonah. "I work here as you can see" I say pointing to my shirt.

"Mom. I don't think it's a good idea hiring her. She'll only put your business in trouble. Just fire her" he says to Janelle. Things got clearer. He is her son and he hates me. But then why did he help me out last night?

"She's going to keep on working here cause everything isn't about you. Quit behaving like a child!" Jonah yelled before I could speak.

"Boys. Calm down" Janelle says. All this shouldn't be happening because of me. I can get a job somewhere else. "I'll just quit ma" I say to her.

"Better" Adrian says. He really is a jerk. I'm about to leave when I'm stopped by Jonah. "You don't have to quit" he says to me.

"You're staying. And you..." Janelle says turning to Adrian "...she's my employee not yours so keep your comments to yourself."

Adrian suddenly starts laughing. "Of course you'll be on Jonah's side. I keep wondering if you even love me. If you're even my mother. I made a mistake moving here" he says and walks out fuming.

I feel like I added fuel to the fire. There was already family feud and I just made it worse. "I'm sorry about that" I say to Janelle but she tells us to leave her alone, with tears in her eyes. She was really hurt by what he said. I'd never seen her cry before. She's always smiling and full of joy.

I wanted to run after Adrian and give him a piece of my mind but I don't hunk that'll be the most sensible thing to do. And now I didn't get my break.

I continued working till my shift was over then sat with Jonah to talk. "I didn't know he was your brother" was the first thing I said when I sat down. I still found it hard to believe especially since they have two different surnames.

"He is the brother I told you I had." He says taking a bite from his coconut cake. "His surname is Valence and yours is Charleston. How?" I ask.

He takes a deep breath. "Charleston is my dad's surname. When my mom was married to my dad, she had an affair with a rich man and had Adrian. Adrian has been living with his dad since and just came here recently. Valence is his Dad's surname" he says.

I know that he lied about Valence being Adrain's Dad's surname but I didn't want to say it. But why did he move here? I had a lot of questions to ask but decided to let it go. Curiosity killed the cat, didn't it?

"Okay" I say and he changed the topic. He offered to take me home afterwards but I was already with my car. I thanked him for the offer and drove home.

Adrian's POV
I stormed out of the cafe very angry. Was I really thinking mom would take my side? I have lived for 14 years far away from her and she never called me or visited me. She was to busy with her other son. Or maybe her only son. I came to Atlanta to spend time with her but she doesn't even care. I should go back to Los Angeles.

But if I do what will I do there. I don't want to ever see my dad again. He's far worse than an animal. If only my mom understood where I'm coming from. Andrea isn't the kind of person she needs around. I'm sure she got Jonah wrapped around her fingers to secure her job. How pathetic!

Jonah and I never got along since I got here. He blamed me for his parents divorce like it was me that cheated on his father. Jonah is just as pathetic as Andrea. They deserve each other.

I enter my apartment and head to the bathroom. I need a cold shower. My dad gave me a credit card with a lot of money before I left. I couldn't say no to that cause I wanted to live alone.

After the shower, I order pizza for dinner. After all I'm 18 already. I'm and adult. I'm legal. I don't need any of my parents and from now on I won't make any contact with them. Jonah can have his mother all to him self. That's all he always wanted and I don't mind. So far he takes care of her.

*******************************************
Voting and Commenting goes a long way so please do.
Mavi✨