Chapter Fifty One

"I can't thank you enough for this, really."

"Please, it's my pleasure." Esme nodded sincerely, gently tapping her fingertips on the surface of the wooden dining table as she watched the older woman walk around the edges of the room, fretting with mountains of paperwork.

Mrs. Bagman was a very tall slender woman, though the stress of the current climate in the wizarding world had definitely taken its toll on the woman. Whilst she was still beautiful, with her blonde hair pinned up and bright red lips, she had become much more frail and gaunt-looking.
Where there had once been a warm and lovely woman, there was now an anxious and panicky shadow remaining.

"I don't want any trouble, of course. Only the best for my boys. I don't want you to get into trouble either." She turned to face Esme and anxiously pulled at the collar of her dress.
Esme smiled warmly, "Of course. Andromeda told me you had two sons?"

"Oh, yes. Such sweet boys. Otto and Ludo. They're only young - Ludo hasn't even started Hogwarts yet. I just-I need to keep them safe. Their father doesn't see that as a priority. I'll do anything for them, though." The woman rambled slightly, picking at the skin around her fingers as she fidgeted and looked down at the floor.

"Mrs. Bagman... I-"
"Lucy, please." Mrs. Bagman insisted with a wavering smile.

"Lucy..." Esme sighed, "You know I need any and all the information you can give me. Everything."
"Y-yes." She nodded quickly, "You understand my reservations, surely?"

The young girl pursed her lips and thought for a moment before replying, "I wouldn't be here if I didn't want to help you. We're at risk just being here, too."
"You're right. You're right. My husband he-he's been getting far too involved with Death Eater business. It's only a matter of time until messes up and gets us in trouble. I don't want any part of it. They're all crazy!" She exclaimed fearfully.

"I know." Esme confronted, "I just-"

"Mummy! Come play!" A little blonde boy burst into the room, shrieking and giggling. Then, not far behind him, was an even smaller boy with darker brown hair, who waddled into the room trying to keep up with his older brother.

Lucy gasped, "Oh, Ludo! Boys! I told you we had guests over. Please, go back upstairs and behave!" She ushered her children swiftly out of the room and quickly up the stairs.
As Esme waited, she heard the pattering of young feet upstairs and soon the door reopened and Lucy Bagman returned, wearing a rather bashful smile.

"Professor Dumbledore will help?" Lucy asked, gently pushing the door closed behind her.
"Yes." Esme nodded.

"Okay..." Lucy took a deep breath, "I'll tell you everything I know. I-er... Does your friend want a drink? A cup of tea?"
Esme bowed her head and grinned, "He's fine, really. He'll just get annoyed if I distract him."

Regulus Black shook his head in disbelief and dug his hands further into his pockets. He did not like this one bit. He had a very bad feeling.
Nevertheless, he remained stood by the front door, occasionally peering out of small window in the top of it to see if anyone was coming to the door.

Then a horrible coldness washed over him.

"Esme!" Regulus called out sharply, drawing his wand, "Esme! It's Bellatrix!"

The kitchen door slammed open as Esme and Lucy burst into the hallway. Regulus watched Bellatrix striding down the street in black robes, growing closer to the house with each second that passed. The older woman was anxiously tugging at her blonde hair as Esme drew her own wand and cried, "We've got to go! Now!"

Then, there was a knock at the door.

"Regulus!" Esme reached out to take his hand and apparate them out of there when Lucy interjected.
"No! They'll hear you disapparate. Use the vanishing cabinet. Upstairs." Lucy stood between the two of them pleadingly.