Chapter One Hundred

Hyde Park was bursting at the seams with countless families and friend groups and couples all pouring into the green space in London for a day out in the sun or a small picnic

It wasn't exactly the most discrete location for a walk, but over time Esme had become less cautious in where she wandered throughout London. This was the first time she had strayed even remotely in the direction of Grimmauld Place, which was further eastwards.

For the first time in a long time, the sun had come out in full force and it was really starting to feel like the beginning of summer.
Most of the guys in the park were playing games of catch or football, whilst the women were generally sunbathing or chatting in the shade.
It was nice to get a glimpse into normal life. Into what could have been.

It had been a little over three months since Piper's funeral and life, horrifyingly, had found a new normal.

Time seemed to be slipping through Esme's fingertips, as they days were over before she even knew what had happened. Weeks passed in the blink of an eye, and she was starting to feel more helpless than ever.

Everyone in the Order was out fighting and protecting people, but she couldn't do anything. She was still a Death Eater, after all. Even only a very few members of the Order knew the truth about her - that she wasn't completely evil.

"Have you heard from Dirk or Levi lately?"

She turned to Regulus beside her, who'd asked the question.
Of course he knew the answer already. He'd have known if she'd received a letter.

"No." She shook her head.
It was too dangerous to be writing to each other at the moment. The threat of their letters being intercepted by either the Death Eaters or the Ministry was too great to risk it. Hence, Esme and Regulus hadn't seen either of them since Piper's funeral and had only received a couple of letters in the following months.

"I suppose it's for the best, really." He replied quietly, tucking his hand into hers as they continued to walk along the stony path around the park.
Esme looked up at him and nodded, "Yeah. Besides, I don't want them to be involved if we get tangled up in something dangerous again."

For Regulus, it had taken him a while to come to terms with what his father had done. Orion has sold out his youngest son, the one he vowed to protect after Sirius left home, to the Death Eaters. And without a second thought.

Not that Esme would say it, but she wasn't awfully surprised.
She had always been much more sceptical of everyone, for that matter, whereas Regulus liked to see the best in people and always viewed his parents through rose-tinted glasses. Of course that meant that he never saw the red flags that everyone else had.

He hummed in response to her and Esme gave his fingers a squeeze. "It's okay, whatever you're feeling. Parents mess you up, don't they?"
"That's putting it lightly." He mumbled.

"You're strong and brave and, quite frankly, too good for them. You'll be alright; you've got Sirius and I." She smiled, and then the two of them stepped to the edge of the path to allow a young boy on his bike to cycle past them.