Chapter 3

Oh yeah, I'll tell you something

I think you'll understand

When I'll say that something

I want to hold your hand.

~ The Beatles "I Want to Hold Your Hand"

Saturday arrived quickly, which meant that she had her date with Seth that night, and Brooklyn was excited. Seth had asked Sue to drive them to the movie theater in Port Angeles, and she had happily obliged. Since they were still keeping their relationship under wraps, they had told Sue that they were having a bestie night. Sue had been the one to suggest they have a sleepover as the grand finale to their night, to which the two had happily agreed. The movie that they decided on was some cheesy comedy— neither of them were very into romantic movies, and they thought that seeing an action or horror movie might kill the date night mood they were going for. Besides, they loved to make fun of all of the stupid parts after they watched movies.

In Brooklyn's opinion, the best thing about being in love with her best friend was that she never had to put too much thought into what she wore to dates. They had known each other for so long that clothing choice had never been a major cause of stress during the relationship. After all, they had seen each other in everything from sweats to formal wear. So, she simply wore a pair of jeans, and her soccer hoodie.

Brooklyn was tying her shoes when she heard a knock at the door.

"Come in," she called.

Paul opened the door and walked in. He stood awkwardly in front of the door for several seconds before Brooklyn voiced her confusion.

"Did you want something?" she asked. "Shit. That came out a lot ruder than I meant it to. I just meant that, like, you knocked on my door, but now you aren't saying anything, and I just was wondering if there was something you came to talk about or to tell me or... something."

Paul responded with a chuckle. "I just felt like I haven't seen you in a while... and Mom mentioned that you don't like that I've been hanging out with Sam lately."

"Seriously? You came in my room to talk to me about Sam Uley?" Brooklyn asks in a flat tone. He had to be kidding, right?

"I just want you to understand. We both know that me hanging out with Sam has been straining on our relationship, and I just wanted to tell you not to worry about me. I'm not in any trouble... Sam is a really good guy, and he's helping me out with a lot of stuff right now," Paul said in a somewhat defensive tone.

Brooklyn was a little nervous to respond. She really didn't want to make Paul angry, but she still wasn't sure why he had come into her room to talk about Sam Uley. Quite frankly, she was irritated that Paul had been ignoring her for weeks, only to come into her bedroom when she was about to leave the house to talk about Sam Uley of all people.

"What is he helping you out with?" Brooklyn asked, after a brief pause.

"I can't tell you," Paul replied quickly.

"Then why would you bring it up? You had to have known I would ask," Brooklyn said as she rolled her eyes.

Paul was visibly irritated by this comment. "I'm just trying to make you understand. There are things that you don't need to know— things that I can't tell you— but I need you to trust me on this. Sam isn't who you think he is."