Chapter 16

I'll be your baby doll and your bodyguard if you tell me to

I'll try to make it all not as hard if you let me through

~ Kevin Abstract "Peach"

Brooklyn had gone to Seth's house after she had revealed her secret to her mom at breakfast, but Sue Clearwater had said that Seth was at Sam's house, and probably wouldn't be home for a while, so she hadn't gotten to tell him yet. 

She was in her room working on homework— just because her life was a mess didn't mean she didn't care about her grades— when she heard her window open. The sound made Brooklyn jump, and turn to see what was happening. A teenage boy climbed into her room.

"Seth, what are you doing?" She asked as she moved to close the door. Her mom was home, and Brooklyn figured this was probably a conversation her mom didn't need to overhear. Before she could turn back around to face him, Seth blurted out the reason he had come. Seth knew that he shouldn't be there, Sam had given him orders, but he hadn't used the alpha voice, so Seth had decided this was more important.

"Brooke, are you pregnant?" 

"Fucking Paul," she said as she turned to face him.

Their eyes met, and suddenly nothing mattered to Seth anymore— nothing but her mattered. His body felt like it was being filled with a glowing heat, and he just wanted to be closer to her. Seth suddenly felt as if she was anchoring him to the Earth's surface. He wanted to hold her in his arms, and never let her go. He wanted to make her smile, and laugh, and the mere thought of seeing her sad broke his heart. He had imprinted.

"Seth, why are you staring at me like that?" Brooklyn asked. He had ignored her for weeks, and now he was acting really weird. He had just broken into her bedroom, and now he was staring at her like she was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen.

"I—" Seth wasn't sure how to explain. Technically, Sam had said they were allowed to tell their imprints about the pack, but Seth didn't think this was the time or place for that— he didn't want to freak her out even more than he had when he inexplicably broke into her house and then started staring at her like some weirdo. "I just realized how much I missed you."

"Oh you just realized that?" Brooklyn scoffed. Honestly, she was so happy to see him, but her feelings were hurt by the way he had treated her recently. 

"It's like when you go on a trip away from home for a while, and you know you miss home, but you don't realize just how much until you're back in your bedroom with all of your stuff and you're just so happy to be back," Seth tried to explain.

"So you're back?" Brooklyn asked.

"Yeah. I'm back," Seth said as he moved closer to her. "I'm sorry I left."

She pulled him in for a hug. "I think we should probably talk about why you're here," she mumbled into his chest.

"Yeah," Seth said with his arms wrapped around her tightly. But neither of them said anything for a while, they just stood there holding each other tightly.

Brooklyn was the first to pull away from the embrace. She collapsed onto the bed, and stared at the ceiling. Seth did the same.