Chapter Eighteen

A/N; Sooooo yeah, it's a double update

I also feel like I need to put up a violence/gore warning for this chapter

---------------------------------------------

Chapter Eighteen

I follow them into the shed and saw the hydroponics and small garden spots, all under a green shade cloth, still holding some seedlings and heavily overgrown plants, as well as a lot of dead ones.

"There's mint!" Silver exclaims excitedly.

But I couldn't help but still peer back out the door and Ghost was probably the same. The smell of stale water and fertiliser wasn't helping either but Silver didn't seem to mind it at all.

"Something's wrong, isn't there?" was the first thing Shadow had said this entire trip.

I look down to him and then back out the door. "...I don't know."

Paranoia was making me feel really on edge and I'm not liking how there was only one exit/entrance into this place right now. My ears were ringing in the silence... I got out and still felt like something was watching us...

I notice that there was a small office space to the right of the entrance of the cloth roofed shed and wanting to take my mind of the bone-weary paranoia seeping back into me, I walk on in and see if there was anything interesting in there. It held a long desk, some computers and a badly written log of plant records. Most of which were about the growth speeds and the expected batch from each plant. They were looking into crossbreeding mint species. But were also filling out some orders for other herbs like anise and meadowsweet. Most of which was probably dead or buried under the mint.

I grab the crossbreeding log and give it Silver who was more than happy enough to flick through and identify the different plants. She was quick, grabbing a few plants and back out into the jungle in a matter of minutes. In that span of time, Crow had caught up and was talking quietly to his brother, both of them frowning but ultimately not saying much back to us.

"Something up?" Shadow glares at them, probably a bit on edge himself.

"Nothing really. Crow just said that Bass might have caught sight of Bailey skulking around not too far from the train station..."

"And that it's too quiet, even for here. Usually there's at least birds flying around. But today..." Crow adds with a shrug. They still talk between each other as we wait for Silver and co to move onto the next spot.

She walks back off the path and into the forest undergrowth itself. Shadow and I follow behind as Ghost was caught up in chatting with the other four. I was caught up in my thoughts, wondering where the best place would be to go to find the campus map, hoping to find the medical faculty. I notice a sudden steep drop that we had to half slide down onto the lower part that lead towards a natural forming ridge amongst the ferns that blanketed the entire section that Silver was walking through already. We are getting a bit too far for my liking away from the people that know the place better than us...

Something white in a tree catches my attention...a plastic milk carton? I frown...why would there be something like that hanging around? For birds? I see a few more in the tops of other trees.

An odd noise came from the front of us which completely stops my train of thought. Heading towards the small ridge's top, we all lay on our stomach to peak over the edge, down to a drop that lead back onto the path but what we see on that path got an audible gasp escaping from Shadow's lips. His eyes wide as he took in the scene.

Standing there was a blue haired kid, probably a few years younger than me, he was dressed up in a suit and a crazy twisted smile plastered across his face. Behind him was a ute that was running, classical music becoming louder from its speakers and a total of about eight others, all dressed in dark clothing, mostly hoodies to obscure their faces, were watching the path in front of them. But there were several people bound and gagged with duct tape, their arms pulled and pinned awkwardly to their backs, all of them kneeling down like they were about to face an execution.