Chapter 19

Natasha stared at the blinking monitors in shock as the world around her moved in slow motion

Natasha stared at the blinking monitors in shock as the world around her moved in slow motion. Red glaring lights filled the room as sirens wailed in her ears, agents were running up and down the corridors barking orders and calling their loved ones. She sat at her place at the conference room table, where it had all began just last year.

The room was nearly empty now, most of the occupants having been dispatched in various places around the globe dealing with the chaos. So now she sat, listening to Fury's briefing about what they had feared, silently praying that her own fears had not come to pass.

"The apocalypse is upon us." Fury began, his voice booming around the glass room. "Our original mission to prevent said occurrence has otherwise failed and all four horsemen as of now are unaccounted for." He looked down at Natasha, his words holding no kindness. Romanov shifted uncomfortably in her seat as she avoided his gaze, unable to get a reaction out of her Fury returned to the board.

"So far there have been six earthquakes of a magnitude of 7.5 and above all over the globe." The screen lit up with pictures of destruction and death, women and children screaming as their faces were dusty with rubble and blood. "Three outbreaks of a potentially fatal disease that could lead to a global pandemic." More pictures came to the screen, this time of men and women covered in boils and sweat, slowly dying in the beds they lay in.

"And finally," Fury sighed as more pictures came to the screen. "Iran just declared war on the US, seemingly unprovoked. There seems to be a similar situation occurring in India and many other countries as people are turning on each other for no apparently obvious reason." A young agent, a new recruit, began to nervously shift in his seat as he prepared to question his superior.

"But sir?" He squeaked up at Fury, who gazed down at him with a raised brow. "There are so many areas, how can we stop these things when we don't even know where or when they are going to strike next?" The director narrowed his eye at the agent, who began to whimper under his stern gaze. The silence of the head of S.H.I.E.L.D deafened the room, no one wanting to face the wrath of Nick Fury.

"A good point." Fury finally muttered, as a sigh of relief fell on the conference room, the tension melting away. The director moved back to the board as a map appeared on the screen. "We believe we have narrowed down the location of three of the horsemen to these locations," he waved his hands over the three glowing red dots on the screen. One in Italy, Brazil and Nigeria. "The plan is to dispatch a team of agents partnered with some avenger firepower to take down these sons of bitches once and for all. We end the horsemen, we stop the apocalypse."

The screen darkened signalling the end of the meeting, chatter engulfed the room as agents prepared to leave each getting their individual assignments sent to their coms device as they stood up to depart. Natasha bit her lip, thinking over Fury's words as she remained in her front row seat.