Chapter Sixteen

Marley POV:

Seeing Cheyenne so care free on the back of my bike was refreshing. I had never seen her smile like she did that day.

All this shit with Jack was taking a toll on her and it worried me.

Along side that, Samuel was in the hospital and most likely in surgery at the moment.

I stopped when we reached the near by park and helped Cheyenne off the bike.

"This place is beautiful." She said as she took in the scenery. "Very. I come here a lot when I need to get away." I told her.

"What do you see in me?" Cheyenne asked me.

I looked at her, confused.

"What do you mean?" I asked her. "I'm not pretty, talented, there's nothing special about me Marley. I'm not perfect." She replied.

What the hell?

"No one is perfect, Cheyenne. You're extremely beautiful and you're a wonderful mother to Jack. How can you say all that?" I asked her.

Cheyenne only looked down, not wanting to say anything else about it.

I stood in front of her and kissed her, showing, instead of telling her how I felt about her. She deserved the world and she didn't see that.

I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket and saw that it was Kade.

"Hey, brother. How is he?" I asked. "Surgery went well. He's in recovery right now. Doc said he should be out in a few days as long as there is no infection." Kade replied. "Wow, it's a lot sooner than anyone thought." I said. "The old man is one tough bastard. I'll call you when he wakes up so you and Cheyenne can come by and see him." Kade told me. "Thanks brother. I'll see you soon." I said as a smile spread across my face.

"Judging by the smile on your face, the surgery went well." Cheyenne said. "He's in recovery. Doc said as long as there is no infection he should be out in a few days." I replied, relief clear in my voice.

Cheyenne smiled and hugged me.

"That's great, Marley." She said. "Yeah, it really is. Kade said he would call me when he woke up so we can go see him." I told her. "Well, I think we should celebrate when he gets home." Cheyenne said. "Of course, no question about that." I said and laughed.

I couldn't describe how happy I was to know that the boss was going to be okay. If he could get through something as serious as this, then I know he could overcome anything. His wife would be proud.

When Cheyenne and I got to the hospital, the entire MC was in the waiting room.

"What are y'all doing out here?" I asked. "They won't let us all back there at once." Dean told me. "Well, I mean there are around twenty of you. It would get kinda crowded in there wouldn't it?" Cheyenne asked with a short laugh.

"Hey, guys. They said two more can go back." Lana said as she walked into the waiting room.

"Mind if we go back? Jack has to be picked up soon." Cheyenne asked. "Sure, man." Danny told her.

Once we walked into Samuel's room he smiled at us.

"Hey, kids. Hope I didn't worry you too much." He said and laughed. "Worry? Me? No fuckin' way." I said and winked causing him to laugh again.

"How are you feelin' Sam?" Cheyenne asked him. "Groggy. I'll be okay in a few hours." He replied.

After a while, I turned to Cheyenne.

"We should go pick up Jack." I told her. "Okay." She replied as I took her hand.

When we pulled in front of the school, Jack stormed out.

Jack had changed so much and I couldn't figure out why it happened so suddenly.

"Hey, buddy. How was your first day?" I asked. "Fine." He replied, shortly. "Make any friends?" Cheyenne asked. "It's been one day. No I didn't make any friends." He huffed.

Cheyenne just sighed and looked out the window.

The rest of the car ride was silent. A very uncomfortable silence, might I add.

When I pulled into the driveway, Jack didn't even wait for me to put the car in park before rushing into the house.

I took Cheyenne's hand once we got out and headed to the door.

"I wish he'd talk to me." She said, quietly. "I know, baby. He just has to work through this." I told her. "How can an eight year old boy have so much anger?" She asked me. "We won't know until he's ready to tell us."