▲ Drugs / Addiction ▲

I split this chapter into sections cause it's so long, sorry!!

PLEASE NEVER DO DRUGS GUYS, ITS NOT WORTH IT!!!! And if you do please seek help.

Addiction:

When individuals engage in an activity that is pleasurable but cannot stop doing it, even to the detriment of everyday living (such as work, hobbies, family time, finances, etc.), and health and wellbeing suffer as a result, this behavior would be considered an addiction.

Substance abuse and addiction can have far-reaching consequences beyond individual health, impacting families, careers, and society as a whole. This includes broken families, ruined careers, fatalities due to negligence or accidents, instances of domestic violence, physical abuse, and child neglect.

》Another distinguishing feature of addictions is that individuals continue to pursue the activity despite the physical or psychological harm it incurs, even as the harm intensifies with repeated use. Additionally, tolerance to the substance often increases as the body adapts to its presence, leading to escalated consumption over time.

At the root of addictive behavior is often some form of emotional stress, deeply buried within the person's subconscious mind. Addressing this issue can feel overwhelming or unfathomable. To ease the stress, individuals may seek pleasure in excess, such as the fun of a drunken night out or the thrill of making an expensive bet.

Early signs indicating potential risk for later drug use include:

1. Association with peers who abuse drugs

2. Lack of attachment and nurturing from parents or caregivers

3. Ineffective parenting practices

4. Caregiver substance abuse

5. Display of aggressive behavior

6. Lack of self-control

7. Poor classroom behavior or social skills

8. Academic underachievement

》There is evidence that addictive behaviors share key neurobiological features: They intensely involve brain pathways of reward and reinforcement, primarily mediated by the neurotransmitter dopamine. Additionally, like other highly motivated states, addictive behaviors lead to the pruning of synapses in the prefrontal cortex, the brain region responsible for higher functions, resulting in heightened attention to cues related to the addictive substance or activity.

When you're becoming addicted to a substance, the normal hardwiring of helpful brain processes can begin to work against you. Drugs or alcohol can hijack the pleasure/reward circuits in your brain and hook you into wanting more and more. Addiction can also send your emotional danger-sensing circuits into overdrive, making you feel anxious and stressed when you're not using the drugs or alcohol.

Alcohol:

Drinking's effects stem from ethanol entering your bloodstream and permeating the membranes of cells in your brain, heart, and other organs.

Alcohol makes it harder for the brain areas controlling balance, memory, speech, and judgment to do their jobs, resulting in a higher likelihood of injuries and other negative outcomes.

Long-term alcohol consumption can have more negative health effects for women compared to men, even if the woman drinks less for a shorter period of time.