Chapter 19

Chapter Nineteen

The ranch stunk. I don't mean it was lacking in fun, I mean that it literally stunk. We could smell the horses and other livestock before we'd even pulled off onto the dirt road that would take us to the stables out back of the large house. We emerged from the RV like kids from a nap, stretching a cranky. I was the only one who hadn't slept. Even knowing everyone else was asleep didn't let me feel the comfort I needed in order to fall asleep myself.

Dr. Crimm waited patiently as a tall figure made his way from the stables to our motor home. He wore tight jeans—not skater-kid tight, but more like a cowboy—and a button-up shirt. His boots looked old and work-worn and his hat completed the look. Flies buzzed around us and he chuckled as we tried unsuccessfully to bat them away.

"They don't bite," he said. "Well, not you, anyway. They do annoy the horses." He gave Dr. Crimm a big, warm hug and then stepped away to get a good look at us. "My name's Scott. Tell me a little bit about yourself and I'll pick a horse that fits you."

Damien laughed. "I doubt you have one that will like me. I'm not a big fan of horseback riding. Maybe we should skip the introduction and go straight to the part where you put me on the worst-behaved animal so I can suffer through this ride like all the others I've been on."

Scott, who reminded me of the cowboy from the old cigarette ads in our textbooks, adjusted his stance and rubbed at the stubble on his chin as he studied Damien. "I'm giving you Frank. He's our oldest and most stable horse. He's been around a long time and knows how to lead the group, even though he'd much rather follow. He's smart, though, so you're going to have to keep praising him if you want him to work for you. No one suffers through rides on my watch."

Next, Scott looked at Marco. "What's your name, kid?"

"Marco." Marco stood nearly at attention, looking Scott right in the eyes as he answered his question. He had courage and confidence, two things many of us were lacking.

"Well, Marco, it looks like you have a wild streak. Maybe you like to be in control when really you should cut loose. I'm giving you Geronimo. He's a mustang I broke in a year ago. He's well-behaved now, but in his younger years I'll bet he was a real hellion."

Scott walked over to Ken so he could see his injury better. "What's your name and how high does that cast go on your thigh?"

"Ken and halfway. Maybe I should sit this one out. I haven't been on my horse since I broke my leg. Doctor would want me to heal properly." Ken began backing his wheelchair away from Scott, but Scott moved quickly and stepped behind him, rolling him forward and facing the stables.

"Actually, Ken, I agree with the doctor." Scott pointed across the way to a black horse. "I want you to heal properly, too. Not all broken things are bones, though. Riding is good for your soul. That horse out there is Lucky. He came here with a break in his leg that should have had him put down, but we gave him a chance at healing. You know he is one of my strongest horses now? Used to work the farm up the road, but now he just likes to show up the other horses and beat them back here for the treat. He'll be yours for today."

Dr. Crimm smiled as she watched Scott sidestep our excuses. In the end I found myself on Jubilee, a beautiful mare who was the shiest of the lot. "Stay in front of Yonder," Scott warned as he pointed out Shima's horse. "That horse is helpful. Only problem is, she's happy to help you off your horse mid-ride." Aideen's mount would be the last, with only Dr. Crimm and her horse behind her. Aideen was given a horse named Mor, a Dutch word for mother, since she had been rescued along with her calf at the end of winter three years ago. I was highly suspicious of Scott and his horses, but even if Dr. Crimm had prepped him about us, his obvious love for the animals gave me some comfort in trusting him to guide us along the trail.