Chapter 20

LIAM

I swirl the ice around my glass, trying to focus on Wesley's story about the fangirl who pounced on him when he walked into Starbucks this morning. But I can't keep my eyes from flicking over to the entrance to the Rainbow Room, which irritates the shit out of me.

This is one of my last opportunities to spend time with all three of my best friends. After Cipher wraps this summer, we'll be lucky to find time when we're all in the same time zone, let alone the same city. I should be soaking up every minute, not obsessing about whether or not the girl I'm pretending to date is going to show up.

The remixed pop music grates on my nerves as I check my phone for what must be the hundredth time. Nothing. I open my text messages, reading my conversation with Ada yet again. I sent her the details for the party earlier. I got one word in reply. Okay.

That barely qualifies as a response. She could've at least confirmed she was coming instead of leaving me to sit and wonder like a jackass. Annoyed, I shove my cell back in my pocket, but my gaze darts back to the door.

"Waiting for someone?" Ariani eyes me suspiciously.

"No," I say too quickly.

"You sure?" Faye asks. "You're watching that door pretty closely."

Wes claps a hand over his mouth. "Holy shit. It's that picture girl, isn't it?" He smacks his hand against the table, laughing. "Man, I thought you had to worry about her catching feelings. Maybe it's the other way around."

I glance up at the massive, oval-shaped ceiling that's lit up with rainbow-patterned light, shaking my head. "Don't be an idiot. She said she'd be here. I just don't trust her wandering around with that camera of hers unsupervised."

"And how did her name get on the list I wonder." Ariani shoves my shoulder teasingly.

I rub my fingers over my eyes. "I had to invite her. There's going to be a mob of paps waiting out front. I need them to photograph us together."

Ackerman still hasn't returned Ruby's calls about the audition for Where There's Smoke. I'm starting to think it's a lost cause, but Julian keeps promising me the paparazzi girlfriend act is doing wonders for my public opinion and that Ackerman will come around soon.

"Uh-huh. I'm sure that's the only reason." Ariani smirks, twirling her hair between her fingers. I feel Faye's eyes on me and glance over. She gives me a meaningful grin.

"Don't start," I mutter.

"I didn't say a word." She holds up her hands innocently then leans in, dropping her voice. "But you know it would be okay if you did like her, right? You've got to let people in sometimes, Li."

I have plenty of reasons for shutting people out, and I'd have to be a complete moron to trust a pap of all people. I look away, glancing around the room. Intricate crystal chandeliers hang above the tables. In the center of the room, people are already filling the dance floor, which slowly rotates beneath them.

Faye sets a hand on my arm. "You can relax now. Your girl's here."

"She isn't my—" I start to say, but my mouth goes dry as I take Ada in. She's wearing a gold dress that hugs her gentle curves and makes her suntanned skin glow. Her hair is down in big, wild waves. She tugs at the hem of her skirt like she's uncomfortable, drawing my eyes down to those long legs. I swallow. For a moment, I forget what she is. I forget that my friends are watching me and that this girl is supposed to be my sworn enemy. All I see is Ada, and she looks damn good.

She scans the room, teeth catching at her bottom lip like she's nervous. Then her eyes find mine and a small smile curls the edges of her mouth. My heart forgets how to beat, thumping out a confused cadence that becomes more erratic each second I sit here, staring at her.