15| A Night of Secrets

New character alert: Kinjan (One of Queen Anasuya's secret assassins.)

|CHAPTER - 15|

***

The fitful silvery rays of moon glistened around the huge palace of Sagara and as similarly as those vibrant rays did deep waves of anger fumed through Rani Anasuya as she marched to her son's chambers. Her pathetic son did it again, he once again lost the opportunity to get rid of his potential threat to the throne, his stepbrother. Why couldn't Dipankar just stick to her plan?

Rani Anasuya's eyes bulged open as she saw her son stand by the balcony sipping on a glass of palm wine. Her nose scrunched up at the pungent smell, how can anyone ever drink such foul-smelling beverage? Apparently, unfaithfulness and alcoholism ran in this family.

"Dipankar!" Anasuya screamed on top of her lungs, all her bottled up anger now finding a way out, "Put that glass away now and come to your senses! You are a crown prince for god's sake!"

Rani Anasuya's voice is said to be powerful, and her grudges are said to be as dangerous as she looks. Though fate never favoured her she has become a woman for whom the whole nation shivers in fear. For it was always rightly said, a woman is capable of both love and destruction.

"I-iss it yo-uu, Mothe-errr?" Dipankar sipped on his wine and managed to spit out those words with lots of effort as he swung to the other side of the balcony, his uncertain drunk moves got him stumbling making the wine glass in his hand slip and crash down the balcony to the ground.

"Stop you fool! You will kill yourself like this-"

"If thi-this is my lasttt day I am willing to d-die!" Dipankar screamed on top of his lungs as his voice roughed at the end due to the highest pitch in that drunken state.

Anasuya's heart quickened hearing those words, what is her son even talking about? Has her son become suicidal? What-

"Sh-she touched m-mee." Dipankar blushed laughing as he glanced at the sky dreamily, as he could see that woman on the moon. His face turned red as he bent forward on the balcony edge, placing his face on his left arm.

"Who?" Anasuya enquired slowly, as her right eyebrow shot up in the air in suspension. Is it one of his prostitutes or the one whom she had been trying her best to keep her son away from?

"She ev-even rolled her eyes at me, ma!" Dipankar turned to face his mother as he animatedly began talking, "H-her shoulder touched m-mine and-"

And Anasuya couldn't help but roll her eyes in frustration. All these years of hard work to save her son from minister Kashyap's daughter went in vain. She always knew that Sahasthra had a magical spell around his son which made him stick around her as if his world revolves around her.

In one way, Anasuya was thankful to the minister's daughter as it was because of her, for the first time she had got to see her son's administration abilities. Dipankar would be eleven probably when the news about Sahsathra never visiting the palace again reached him he almost fought a war with Minister Kashyap. The fierceness in his eyes as he stood up against Kashayp woke up the hopes of power in Anasuya, but look at her son now, his eyes always dead and his life lifeless.

Soon, swinging swirling Dipankar made his way crashing down on the bed and Anasuya could do nothing but look at her son helplessly. A mother would be the happiest if she finds her husband's imprint on her children, however, everything was different to Anasuya. The more she tried to make her son different from his father, the faster her son turned like the monster she was married to.