Chapter Ninety Six - Not The Only Transmigrators

A 'herb' was defined in this world as a plant whose leaves were used in cooking or in medicine. But the herbs that the two otherworldly cultivators had come across in this world were quite ordinary and unlike the spiritual plant life of their own; they could not boost their cultivation nor did they provide 'miraculous' healing effects. However, the plant life in this world had begun to change, mutating, becoming something unlike what it was originally. Many of these changes were not benevolent, some were even deadly to living animal life, but occasionally, the mutant plants would offer the survivors something new, even amazing.

The garden of the second property had been left mostly untouched; no flowers had been dug up to make room for crops, weeds were generally ignored or left alone. The most the bushes and trees experienced was a bit of a trim to prevent overgrowth. This also meant that wild blackberries were abundant in one particular location that also happened to adjoin the garden of the third property and also stinging nettles grew unrestrained in the very rear of the garden. Amongst this ordinary latter, grew an unordinary plant.

It had been Nathan who had noticed this small intruder first, excitedly pointing it out to Ren Zexian as the latter had attempted to take lessons from Dexter and Autumn and treat his beloved to a sort of date. Their walk around the wild beauty of these gardens had eventually led them here, to discover the camouflaged herb in amongst the nettles as well as other things. Ren Zexian had become too distracted then to realise what they had discovered and then too many events had occurred for him to dwell upon it later, meaning it was only now that clarity allowed him to see what he had failed to then. It seemed that the wandering cultivators of which Ren Zexian and Chang Min were a part of, were not the only ones to have crossed over to this world.

Ren Zexian dug up the large bulbous rooted herb with care; the plant had managed not only to hide successfully amongst the ordinary stinging nettles, but take on some of their characteristics, including the painful nature of their jagged edged leaves. Chang Min, who had raised common herbs and grain in the dusty fields of the outer sect he'd originally belonged to, recognised it immediately.

"That's a False Nettle Herb?" He pointed to it as Ren Zexian lay it upon the kitchen table, revealing this treasure to the others.  Quite a crowd had gathered in the kitchen, the large room now feeling small as the only curious bodies not to come and see this thing were patrolling the walls.  Nathan pressed himself against Ren Zexian's side, clearly uncomfortable, but too curious over the 'mutant' plant that his lover had taken from the second property's gardens.  Ren Zexian gently placed an arm about his body, offering him shelter from the crowd.

"What's a False Nettle Herb?" He whispered into Ren Zexian's ear.  His breath teased the sensitive tissue, but the latter managed not to lose his calm expression despite this.

Still, he felt the need to clear his throat before he explained.  "This herb is not simple... not like the herbs that Xīngān grows, though it was quite common amongst the herbs still living in the land of my birth.  Like the Crystal Teardrop tree within the grounds, this one too gathers spiritual energy from its surroundings, but stores it in the large root.  Such means it was sought after by man and beast thus developed its own way of protecting itself; by growing in the camouflage of other nettles.  Were it not for Xīngān's eye, it would have continued to hide well in the growth of those Stinging Nettles."

Chang Min's brows rose at the endearment his Master had recently began to use for Nathan, but understood his meaning.  The language of these people, while not difficult for those such as themselves, was sometimes lacking;  Nathan's name did not role easily off the tongue nor did first names hold importance in the heart.  Yet Master still wished to express his feelings in words so could only rely on such.  Chang Min sighed inwardly.  Such a strong love, others could only look on envious.  Unknowingly, his eyes glanced over his shoulder at the large man shadowing him and suddenly, he felt content.