27. When It All Comes Crashing Down

The rest of the evening felt like a bit of a blur. The basketball team were congratulated by all the students and families that had been watching the game. The coach was almost in tears and I could've sworn that I'd caught him wiping a tear from his eye. Jack's mum had joined us on the court soon after the game had finished to give him a big cuddle. I could tell how proud she was. There had definitely been a little tear in her eye too. 

It took almost half an hour for people to leave the gymnasium. There was hand shaking, loud whoops and laughter echoing throughout the school. Caleb, Mia and I waited at the front of the school near the oak tree. Caleb leant against it and I stood with my back pressed against him. He draped his arms over my shoulders and pulled me close. I was grateful, more so because the evening breeze had picked up and it was starting to feel extremely cold. I didn't want to imagine what Mia felt like in her little body con dress. 

The three of us watched as parents begun to make their way home. Most of the students were headed to Missy's party and there was a hint of excitement in the air. Not only was it the end of the first winning game, but it was also the last day of term and it couldn't have ended on a better note. We had two weeks off school for Autumn break and I was stupidly excited about being able to sleep in until noon. It was the little things. We stood there, waiting for Jack and Nick to appear. 

"I think I see them," Mia said, excitedly. 

I wriggled out of Caleb's grasp and waved across. They both saw us and jogged over, huge smiles on their faces. Nick high-fived me and gave Mia a quick hug. She patted his back appreciatively and also gave Jack a congratulatory hug. He looked over her shoulder at me and smiled. It appeared that they had both taken a quick shower. Jack's hair was still wet and he had a rosy glow to his cheeks. He looked rather cute, admittedly.  

"Did you guys see us out there?" Nick grinned, waving his arms excitedly. "I can't believe we actually won. All thanks to this guy."

He grabbed Jack and put him in a headlock, rubbing his knuckles over the top of his skull. 

"Get off me," Jack grumbled, struggling out of his grasp and smacking him over the top of the head in retribution. Nick frowned and rubbed his head, although they were both still grinning like idiots. "I couldn't have done it without you, though."

"Yeah, that assist was pretty impressive," Caleb said, nodding appreciatively. "You guys really pulled it out of the bag."

"Thanks, man," Nick said, fist bumping him. 

"Yeah, thanks," Jack smiled as well. It caught me off guard when he held his hand out. 

Caleb looked down at it in surprise, but shook it nevertheless. It was the first time they had ever reacted towards each other positively and not in a weirdly passive aggressive manner. I didn't quite know what to do. It's what I had been hoping for for a while, but all it left me feeling was confused and unsure as I looked at them both stood next to each other. 

"Shall we get going, then?" Mia said excitedly, grabbing hold of my arm. "We've got a party to get too."

I thought about having to spend the evening at Missy's house and tried to swallow down the bile that rose in my throat. Jack and Nick walked in front and Caleb put his hand in mine and intertwined our fingers as I walked with Mia. As we begun the fifteen minute walk to Missy's house, Jack looked over his shoulder briefly. He glanced down and saw my hand in Caleb's. I wasn't sure why, but I felt the overwhelming urge to snatch my hand back.   

Our eyes met, but he turned back around before I could even say a word. 

-----------------

My mouth dropped open as we all stood outside Missy's house. We had already walked down the front driveway which looped around a huge, over-the-top fountain. There were four cars parked off to the side and the large house in front of us looked like it was big enough to have about ten bedrooms. The large, wooden front door looked heavy and as it was open, I could already see in to the spacious, open plan hallway. I think her hallway was the size of my entire house.