Epilogue

Jack and I spent the rest of the Autumn break together, now officially boyfriend and girlfriend. I thought it would have been weird but as it turned out, it was the most natural thing in the world. I smiled to myself as I sat on my bed, watching Jack rifling through my collection of movies. It was the last night before we had to go back to school and we wanted to just chill out together, doing something that we loved. 

So, movie night and popcorn binge it was!

"What movie do you want to watch?" he asked, grinning over his shoulder at me. 

I felt the familiar pang of butterflies in my stomach as he looked at me. I don't think they'd ever go away. 

"How about a romance?" I smiled, winking at him. 

He laughed, rolling his eyes with a smile. I continued to stare at him as he picked a movie and popped it in to the DVD player. I shuffled to the right to make room for him on the bed. It was a good job I did, as he dive bombed towards it and landed with a thud. It was a miracle the bed didn't break under his weight. 

He got comfortable and lifted his arm up. I snuggled up against him and leaned in to his side. I could feel his heart beating and I smiled. As the movie started to play, I suddenly remembered my sketch book and something I wanted to show him. 

"Can you reach under the bed?" I asked him. "There's something I want to show you."

"Intriguing," he smiled, pausing the movie and reaching underneath. 

My cheeks blushed slightly when he pulled up the sketchbook, a curious look in his eyes. I nodded towards it and he looked at me with a questioning look. I never let anyone look at my drawings. They felt personal, like my own little secret that no-one knew about. But with Jack, it felt different now. He was the other half of me. 

I watched tentatively as he opened the sketchbook and turned to the middle page. Sat on the page, was the drawing of the oak tree I had been struggling so long with. And stood underneath it with a basketball under his arm, was Jack. He stared at the drawing openmouthed. For a long moment, he just stared at it and didn't say a word. 

I began to feel nervous. "Do you like it?"

All of a sudden, he grabbed me and pulled me toward him. He pressed his lips lightly against mine and even that slightest touch sent shockwaves through me. 

"I love it," he whispered, pulling away. "Can I keep this?"

"Sure," I smiled, feeling happier than I ever dreamt possible. 

"You know, you should think about doing art at college," he smiled, taking my hand in his. 

I settled back against his shoulder as he pointed the remote towards the TV and re-started the movie. I noticed that he kept the sketchbook on his lap, his other hand placed over the drawing. He didn't let it go for the entire movie. 

I didn't know if i'd do art at college, or where we'd be when the school year finally ended. All I knew is that I'd started the senior year feeling like I was searching for something more and I'd ended up with everything I'd ever wanted. I felt special, I felt wanted and I felt loved. And to think, my love story started on that day so long ago when a little boy handed me an ice-cream. I'd found the boy who made my heart soar. 

My best friend, Jack. 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*