05. Kansas

FIVE KANSAS

FIVE KANSAS

Wes woke up laying down in a church pew with the worst headache of his life. It didn't help that someone was currently flicking his temple. He looked up and saw his sister there with a bored expression on his face. Her face formed a pursed smile as she realized he was awake.

"Welcome back to the land of the living," Winona spoke sarcastically as she grabbed his wrist and dropped two tablets of iburpofen into his hand and handed him a water bottle, "Come on, Cassandra has something she wants to say."

The boy groaned as he forced himself to sit up, placing the pills in is mouth and taking a sip of much-needed water. Before he knew he chugged the rest of the water and tossed it aside as he stood up, following Winona outside. There were a few scattered students, most, if not all of them hungover. Wes didn't see Sahar or Daniel anywhere, but he sat down next to Harry and Luke on the steps of the church. Winona went and stood next to Allie Pressman who had Sam next to her. On the other side of him was Will.

"Is this everyone that's awake?" Cassandra asked as she leaned against a brick pillar, "Great. I'll get a car to Greenwich and get help."

"Why you?" Harry asked, his voice somewhere between a groan and croak as he held his head in his hands. The sound of someone speaking so close to him sent a shock of pain through Wes's head. He sighed and let his head rest between his knees. Winona placed a gentle hand on his back.

Cassandra shrugged, "Someone has to find out where everyone went. We can't all go."

"I'll do it," Harry spoke again.

"You're sober?" the girl challenged.

Harry chuckled darkly, "Fuck you, Cassandra."

"Hey, chill," Wes mumbled next to him, "She's got a point."

"Whatever," the boy rolled his eyes as he nudged the half-asleep boy next to him, "Luke, you want to see if we can get some of the guys to come with? Wes, you in?"

Wes shrugged, "If I can sleep in the backseat. Luke?"

"Yeah," the boy groaned, "Yeah, let's go."

Luke stood first and held out his hand to help Harry who stumbled slightly. Next, Luke reached out and helped Wes to his feet. Luke turned to Wes as he sleepily clapped a hand on his shoulder. Winona laughed as both boys almost fell back over.

"You know this means you're probably going to have to ride with Grizz, right?" Luke asked and Wes realized he hadn't considered that. Still, a nap while the breeze from riding in Harry's convertible ran through his hair sounded too good to pass up. Besides, he was too hungover to start a fight with anyone.

Wes just shrugged, "Yeah, yeah, it'll be fine."

Sure enough, he ended up squeezed in the middle seat between Grizz and Clark, but he was in and out of consciousness so it wasn't that much of a problem. He didn't feel like fighting today, he had enough of that with Amaya last night and that was enough for him.