06. The Edge of the Universe

SIX THE EDGE OF THE UNIVERSE

It wasn't long before they were joined by a handful of students at the edge of town. Well, the edge of the universe as it felt. Winona was among them, tagging along in Cassandra's car as well as a few other people. Immediately, she hopped out of the car and walked over to her brother, silently checking if he was okay.

"You and Grizz managed not to kill each other, nice," she commented in a low whisper as not to draw the attention of anyone else. Wes snorted but didn't respond.

Everyone seemed to take their turns looking at the destroyed road before they settled down against the walls of the bridge. There was a steady silence as people seemed to be coming to terms with the fact that there was something going on that was weirder than they all initially thought. Strangely enough, Wes missed his parents. He hoped that wherever they were, they missed him. He scanned the small crowd of people that had joined them and was surprised to still not see Sahar or Daniel.

"You seen the lovebirds?" he whispered the question to Winona who shook her head.

"Not since last night."

Gordie speaking drew their attention as he became the first person to speak up, saying, "I mean, there's only so many options."

"Maybe we're dreaming," Allie spoke next, her voice wistful as if even she knew that was a stupid idea. "It's the best option."

Harry scoffed in response to this, "Maybe this is all some elaborate fucking game. Like someone built an exact replica of our town and just put it in the middle of nowhere and if we just walk... like this way or that way or any way, eventually, we'll get back to the... the real world."

"Maybe we're all dead," Wes mumbled, not realizing he was loud enough for everyone to hear him. When he noticed people looking up at him he cleared his throat, scratching the back of his head, "Ya know, like the... the series finale of Lost."

"Dude, I haven't finished Lost!" Luke's voice was frustrated, "I was like one season away."

Wes shook his head as he exclaimed, "Dude! The series finale came out like ten years ago!"

"Still!"

"We're not dead!" Harry cut them off, "I mean... we didn't crash or anything we would have remembered that, right? Listen, I'm not saying it makes any sense."

"There was a smell," Cassandra spoke up as she came to stand next to Winona, joining the conversation for the first time, "and then it went away and it came back, the buses came for us."