Chapter Seventeen - Bad News

~

Reece's POV

~

"Reece!" Anna bursts into my room, eyes wide and concerned.

I turn around with furrowed eyebrows, pausing in the middle of pulling a shirt on. Layla only just left half an hour ago and I'm now starting to get ready for school. "What's the matter?" I ask, confused.

"It's Layla. She- she's crying, and she said she needs you," She says hurriedly, her sentence broken as she tries to get the words out quick enough.

Before I can even process what I'm doing, I'm out of my room and heading towards the front door. When I see her there, I feel my heart sink in my chest. She stands there, tears streaming down her face, eyes red. I instantly break out into a run, enclosing her in my arms as soon as I reach her. Her arms hook around my neck tightly as she presses her face into my neck, sobs wracking her small body.

Who the hell hurt her? I'll fúcking kill them.

Although my thoughts about whoever hurt her are violent, I keep my tone gentle as I whisper what I hope are comforting words. "Hey, I'm here. Just breathe. I'm not going anywhere."

"Reece," She whimpers my name softly and I almost start crying myself. She sounds so broken and sad and I know there is nothing in this world I won't do to see her beautiful smile back on her face.

"Oh, Sunshine," I whisper, cradling her in my arms. After a moment of me just standing and holding her, I bend down and pick her up bridal style. She doesn't complain, holding herself to me tightly and burying her head in the crook of my neck. I completely disregard the fact that we have to go to school soon and just focus my attention on her.

I don't know what has happened, but whatever it is has clearly upset her. And I sure as hell am not about to let her go.

A small, selfish part of me is just the littlest bit happy that it's me she came to. That in her time of need, it's me she came running to. I have to admit, that makes me feel just a little bit special.

Keeping my grip on her tight, I start walking us towards the living room. I pass my mother on the way who looks at Layla worriedly. She doesn't say anything though and lets me take her into the living room. I sit down in the armchair, leaving Layla in my lap. Slowly, I start running my fingers through her hair, whispering sweet nothings in her ear in an attempt to calm her.

I don't know how she does it. She always makes it look so easy when she calms me down. But me? I never know what to do in these situations. But I'll try. I'll try for Layla.

Soon her harsh sobs turn into quiet whimpers until eventually she falls silent apart from the occasional hiccup that escapes her. I still don't let her go, playing with her hair, and occasionally kissing the top of her head. After a few moments I murmur, "Do you want to talk about it, Sunshine?"

She doesn't say anything for a minute, and I'm worried I have upset her more, but slowly she nods, pulling her head from where it is tucked up next to my neck. She doesn't move away though, instead just rests her head on my chest, taking my hand in hers so she can play with my fingers.

"When- when I got home, Bella, she-" Her voice breaks and she sniffles, squeezing my hand in hers. I barely even noticed how she has linked our fingers together. I'm certainly not complaining. I don't say anything or interrupt her and instead just give her a few moments to get her thoughts in order.

"She was crying on the front porch steps and- and I immediately went over and asked what was wrong, obviously. And- and-" She takes in a shaky breath before continuing, "She told me that mom and dad are getting a divorce."