Chapter 17

“So, did we decide if we’re finding out the gender?” Ross asked, resting his hand on my thigh.

I lowered the radio, glancing his way. His eyes were focused on the road. “I want to find out. What about you?”

“I definitely want to find out.” A smile overtook his face, causing my heart to melt. “I can’t believe you’re appointment’s tomorrow.”

“That makes two of us.” I said, resting my hand on my rounding stomach. “I can’t believe I’m five months along.” It was surreal to me that I was already halfway done with my pregnancy. In just a few months, I would be holding my baby in my arms. That was scary and exciting all at the same time.

“Are you nervous?” Stopping at a red light, he turned to look at me.

“About the appointment?” I asked. He shook his head. “Giving birth?” He nodded. “Hell yes.”

He chuckled and started driving again. “You have nothing to be nervous about. It’s not like you won’t be alone. I’ll be with you. Unless you don’t want me to be in the room.” He bit his lip.

“I want you in the room with me.” I confirmed. “And that’s not what I’m nervous about. I’m nervous about the birth part. I’m not good with pain, and giving birth hurts like a bitch. Not to mention that I’m afraid that something could go wrong.” The thought of something happing to the baby made me cringe. I couldn’t imagine something happening.

“Nothing’s going to happen, Sky. The baby is healthy.” He assured me.

“But things could happen while I’m in labor or giving birth.” I said.

“But nothing will.” He said, just as we pulled up to Rydel and Ellington’s house. He killed the engine and removed his seatbelt, before rotating his body so he was focused on me. “You can’t think that something’s going to happen to the baby. It’ll just get you freaked out, which will make you stressed. You just need to stay calm and focus on all the good things that are going to come.”

“Well, the negatives are outweighing the positives, right now.” I sighed, shaking my head. “I want to think about all the good things, but I can’t. It’s like I’m waiting for something bad to happen.”

He gently grabbed my hand and gave it a squeeze. “Well you shouldn’t. Fears about having a baby are normal, but you can’t let them overtake your life. If you ask, I’m pretty sure my mom will tell you that she was scared when she was pregnant the first time.”

“But she wasn’t twenty-one, Ross.” I pointed out. “I’m barely an adult.”

“Alright, stop.” He gripped my shoulders and shook them lightly. His eyes were filled with worry. “You’re freaking out over nothing. I hate hearing you talk like this, Sky. I know that you’re young, but like I’ve told you before, you’re not alone. We’re all here for you.”

“But what if I can’t do this?” I asked, my eyes filling with tears.

“Are we talking about after the baby’s born?” He asked softly.

He knew me too well. “Yeah.” I murmured quietly.

He nodded. “What are you afraid of after it’s born?”

“T-that I’m gonna end up being a terrible mother. That I’ll just ruin his or her life.” I confessed. I quickly wiped away a tear that rolled down my cheek. “I’m terrified, Ross. I’m absolutely terrified.”

I had been harboring these thoughts and fears for a while, and as much as I didn’t want to admit them to Ross, I was glad I did. He always knew how to make me feel better, and although this was a different situation, I just knew that he would be able to help me relax and stay calm.