Chapter 6 - What's wrong with me lately?

Jessie and Sandy had spent a pleasant evening together, helping each other with their homework and chatting about their impressions of the first day at the academy.
However, as the clock ticked closer to midnight, Jessie realized that she had to return to her dorm room, as she didn't want to get in trouble on her second day.

"Sorry, but I gotta go now. See you tomorrow!" she said to Sandy, gathering her books and backpack.
"Oh, sure. Do you want me to walk you to your dorm?" Sandy offered, smiling warmly.
"Okay, thanks. That would be nice." Jessie accepted, feeling a bit nervous about walking alone in the dark corridors.

They headed to Jessie's dorm, which was on the other side of the school.
As the walked, Jessie wondered if Leon, her roommate, was already there.

As they were walking towards the dorm, they saw two figures zooming past them in the hallway. Sandy recognized them as Max and Colette.
Jessie didn't know who Colette was, so she kept an eye on the situation.
"This is so cool!" Colette exclaimed, holding a can of energy drink in her hand.
"Yeah, I know. My energy drinks are the best!" Max boasted, running faster than Colette.

They were so absorbed in their own fun that they didn't notice Mr. El Primo, the physical education teacher, standing right in front of them.
"What were you two doing?" he asked sternly, blocking their way.
"Um...we-" Max tried to explain, but Colette interrupted her.
"OMG! MR. EL PRIMO! MAY I HAVE YOUR AUTOGRAPH?!" she shouted, jumping up and down with excitement.
"Haha! Sure, why not?" Mr. El Primo said, amused by her reaction. He took a pen and signed his name on her scrapbook.
"Thank you so much!!!" Colette squealed, hugging the scrapbook to her chest.
"No problem, but now head to your dorms. It's pretty late." he said, pointing at his watch.
"Ok! Goodbye!" Max and Colette said in unison, waving at him and running away.
Mr. El Primo shook his head and continued his patrol.

"Ok, I don't know what I have just seen." Sandy said to Jessie, trying not to laugh.
"Yeah, me neither. I'm a bit tired, can we go to my dorm?" Jessie asked.
"Sure, let's go." Sandy agreed.

They reached Jessie's dorm room and opened the door. Jessie saw Leon lying on his bed, staring at the ceiling. He looked bored and annoyed.

"Bye Sandy! See you tomorrow!" Jessie said to Sandy, waving lightly at him.
"Bye Jessie! Sleep well!" Sandy said back, smiling at her.
He glanced at Leon and nodded politely. Leon didn't acknowledge him. He just glared at them with a cold expression.

Sandy left the room and closed the door behind him.

Jessie felt a wave of awkwardness wash over her. She didn't know how to talk to Leon or what he thought of her. In the morning he looked so cheerful, but now he seemed to dislike her for some reason.

She decided to ignore him and focus on her own things to escape the akwardness. She sat down at her desk and picked up a book that she had borrowed from the library. It was about robotics and engineering, two of her passions.
She opened the book and started reading.

"Hey Jessie." Leon spoke suddenly, breaking the silence.
"Hi Leon." Jessie replied politely, looking up from her book.
"What classes do you have tomorrow?" he asked casually.
"Let me think... Math, Biology, English... Oh! And the solo Showdown." she answered, listing her subjects for the next day.
"I have the Showdown too." he said.
"Alright.." She replied.

There was nothing else to say after that.
They fell into an awkward silence again.
Leon wanted to start a conversation with Jessie, but he didn't know how or why, but he felt a strange mix of curiosity and resentment towards her, as if he didn't like how close she was with Sandy. He somehow felt jealous of their friendship.

He didn't really understand his own feelings or what to do with them.

Jessie's phone rang suddenly, interrupting their silence. She checked the caller ID and saw that it was Nani.
She answered the call and put it on speaker mode.
"Hello? Oh hey Nani." she greeted her friend.
"Hi Jessie. I need your help with something!" Nani said in a worried tone.
"What is it?" Jessie asked, concerned.
"It's about Peep! It's broken and I don't know how to fix it! Can you help me?" Nani pleaded.
"I'll surely help you! You know I love fixing robots!" Jessie said, smiling.
"Thank you so much! You're the best! Can you come tomorrow and take a look at it?" Nani asked.
"No problem. Just give it to me tomorrow and I'll fix it then." Jessie promised.
"Thank you, thank you, thank you! You're a lifesaver! Bye!" Nani said, hanging up.

Jessie put down her phone and closed her book. She felt tired and sleepy. She decided to go to bed.

"I'm going to bed. Goodnight!" she said to Leon, getting up from her desk.

"Goodnight." he said back, without looking at her.

She walked to her bed and got under the covers. She closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep.

Leon felt bad as he watched Jessie sleep. He realized that he had been rude to her, for no good reason, had been distant and unfriendly to her, even though she had been nice and respectful to him.
He had avoided talking to her or getting to know her and had looked at her and Sandy with a sour expression, as if they were doing something wrong by being friends.

He sighed and turned off the light. He closed his eyes and tried to sleep.

"What's wrong with me lately?"

I just turn invisible and walked away.
I kept my head down all the time I was just traumatized.
Then I realized that I wasn't at Starr Park anymore.
I was in the 'dark' part of brawl town.
I was looking around me. It was raining.
Then someone bumped into me.
"S-sorry! I-I didn't m-mean to!"
A girl was standing in front of me. I could tell that she was crying.
"Don't worry, it's ok. I'm Leon by the way"
"My name is Jessie"
She said, wiping away her tears.