Chapter 45 - It hurts to remember

Jessie came out of the bush in a flash, shooting directly at Colette's head, missing her by an inch. She had been hiding there for a while, but now it was moment to strike, no time to lose.

"Oh? I didn't expect that! This is even more fun than I imagined!" Colette exclaimed, as she fired back, scrapbook in her hand.
"That all you got, Colette?" Jessie said, dodging the blast. She knew Colette was dangerous, but she also knew she had to stop her.
Colette grinned, "Of course not."

She ran at full speed towards Jessie, laughing maniacally. She wanted to end this game once and for all, and enjoy the thrill of the hunt.
Jessie saw her coming and quickly reloaded her shockrifle and shot. She had to be careful not to waste any ammo.

"Haha! You won't get me like this!" Colette taunted, as she closed the distance between them.
She fired, the blast hitting Jessie in the shoulder, leaving a wound.
Jessie winced in pain, but now it wasn't surely time to give up. 

She had to find out the truth behind Colette's actions, and what Leon had to do with any of this.

She jumped at Colette, aiming her shockrifle at her face. She hoped to catch her off guard and knock her down.

"So you were the one responsible for all of this?!" Jessie asked angrily.

Colette smirked. "Well, depends on what you're referring to!" she said, "But the answer would be yes."
Jessie pressed the trigger of her shockrifle.
"Why are you doing this? What does Leon have to do with any of this?" 

She wondered if she was wrong for trusting Leon, she suddenly remembered his letter and his words. Was it all a lie?

"Tell me now!" Jessie angrily shouted, shooting directly at Colette's head, this time grazing her, some of her white hair falling.
"You little brat." Colette's eyes were so wide that someone could say that they were popping out of her head. "You're going to pay for this." she said, firing back.
Jessie dodged the shot by rolling on the ground. She got up and took cover behind a crate.

"No way am I going down without a fight and some answers!"
"Oh? you want some answers?" Colette smirked.
Jessie glared at her from behind the tree.
"Well then, here you have some, I've been watching your progress all this time." she said.

"Tell me Jessie, why did you go to that bench when Piper read your medical records?"
Jessie looked at her conflictedly, because Jessie didn't know the answer either.
"My legs moved on their own..." Jessie answered reluctantly.
"Your legs, or your memory?"
Jessie widened her eyes, Colette smirked.
"Don't think about it too hard, you won't remember anyways. And neither will Leon."

"What do you mean? And what does this have to do with anything?!" Jessie asked angrily.

"Leon is the key." Colette replied.
"The key for what?!" Jessie asked, confused.
"Your own mind! Leon is your savior..." Colette paused, "and your curse."

Jessie was too confused at this point, and only stared blankly at Colette, who was staring back at her.
"What are you talking about?"

"Your confusion, your feelings, and your memories. Everything you've gone through, you have gone through alone, or at least that's what you think. All this time, the person you had been looking for was already right beside you."

"I don't understand..."

"Leon was right there, right next to you..."

Jessie looked at Colette.
and Colette continued.

"...when you lost your parents,"

something clicked inside Jessie's mind. She remembered a vague rain, and someone's voice.

"Then you became friends, and you two were actually happy,"

something clicked inside Jessie's heart. She remembered laughter, smiles.

"Too happy. so I decided to do something..."

Something.

"And one night, when it was more convenient than ever,"

Pain.

"I was the one who hit you..."

It hurts.

"...and now I'm here to finish the job"

To remember.

Jessie suddenly passed out.

"Good night, Jessie! Sweet dreams!" Colette smiled.
She walked towards Jessie's body, ready to take her scrapbook and leave.

But then, she heard a sound.
A sound that made her freeze.
A sound that made her turn around.
A sound that made her face the person she least expected to see.
A sound that made her say one word.

"Leon?"

He took out one of his shurikens from his pocket. 

He aimed at Colette's neck. He threw it with all his strength.

The shuriken hit Colette in her neck, making her gasp in pain.
She dropped her scrapbook and clutched her neck, trying to stop the bleeding. She looked at Leon with a mix of shock, fear, and hatred.

"Leon?" she whispered again, before she fell to the ground, unconscious.

Leon ran towards Jessie. He dragged himself beside her and checked her pulse.
It was still there.
He breathed a sigh of relief.

"Jessie... We need to get away from here," he said softly.

"Jessie...?"