𝚜.𝟷 𝚎𝚙.𝟸 -𝚙𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚛𝚎𝚎-

"so I muffle my scream / on an Oxnard beach / full of fever / dreams that scare me sober / into saltless dinners"

~

"Guys, guys, is that them?" Kiara asked in a panic, looking out the window at the large pickup truck that was careening down the driveway.

They all crowded around and watched as the two men they'd seem at Ms. Lana's house hopped out and started towards the house. "No." JJ sounded disbelieving. 

"This is suboptimal," Pope muttered.

"John B, I told you," JJ muttered, pacing back and forth in the office and sounding absolutely freaked out. "Why does it always..." 

John B grabbed JJ by the shoulders and pinned him against wall. "JJ! Hey, look at me," he said, his voice deadly calm.

Tate whirled around and, in two steps, was at JJ's side, trying to push John B away from him. "Stop it, JB!" she said in a disgusted voice. Now wasn't the time to get into fights- not when there were two dangerous men threatening their lives. John B grabbed Tate's hand and held it back, still focusing on JJ.

"Where's the gun?" he said slowly.

JJ looked like his mind was short-circuiting. "Gun? I, uh, I can't..." he scrunched up his face, trying to remember. Tate could tell he was getting worked up.

"Now you don't have the gun- the one time we need the gun?" Kiara looked close to tears.

JJ looked like he might cry too. "It was in my backpack, and then I..."

"Backpack..." John B echoed.

"On the porch. It's on the porch." JJ slipped out the door.

"Be careful, J-" Tate muttered under her breath. 

She hurried to the window again to watch the men cross the lawn and step onto the porch. She swore. "John Routledge!" one man's voice boomed and made Tate flinch. She swore again and started towards the door to warn JJ, but he was already sliding through and closing it again softly.

He caught Tate's eye and restlessly put a hand on her shoulder. "Where's the compass?" he asked John B urgently.

"Where's the gun?" asked John B.

Kiara was still at the window. "They're on the front porch, guys," she said urgently.

Tate heard the screen door open and footsteps in the living room. Her heart pounded in her chest. "We have to leave," she said, turning to the Pogues. JJ was the first to move.

"Guys, window- Window," he said, immediately moving to try and open the window. Pope met him there and together they tried to force it open. It didn't budge. Tate moved closer to get a better look over JJ's arm.

"Come on..." she muttered

"What... what's happening?" Kiara joined them. "Why is it taking so long?" 

JJ turned around impatiently. "It's painted shut, okay?" He went back to prying it open with Pope. Tate tried pulling it from the top, but it wouldn't move.

"Okay, guys. Guys. Here, I got it." Kiara appeared behind them again, this time holding a knife. JJ, Tate, and Pope scattered and let Kiara work the paint away from the wood.

Tate jumped and moved closer to Pope as another bang echoed from the kitchen. "Hey, check the back room," one of the men yelled. 

Tate shot a panicked look at JJ. "Come on, come on, come on," he said quickly, looking over Kiara's shoulder.