𝚜.𝟷 𝚎𝚙.𝟼 -𝚙𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚘𝚗𝚎-

~

~

"days like dominoes / all in a line / we cheer for the home team / every time"

~

Parcel 9

The second Tate got back to John B's house, she changed into a pair of his sweatpants and a t-shirt and immediately crashed on the couch in the living room. It reminded her of her first night there when hurricane Agatha was raging outside and she sat watching the news with John B and JJ, smoking a joint, her only worry in the world being about her family. Now everything was so different. Agatha's a bitch, she thought to herself. But then remembered that Agatha had brought her and JJ together. It had given Tate a new group of friends, a safe place to stay, a new purpose in life. Tate's last thoughts before dozing off were 'at least I wasn't stuck outside in the storm that night.'

She woke up to banging on the door. It must've been a few hours later because the sun was high in the sky, but there was no way for her to be sure. The door banged again. Tate jumped off of the couch. "If anyone's in there, open up!" Shoupe's voice rang in her ears. Tate's heart was beating out of her chest. She didn't move. "We're comin' in!"

There was a crash and the door flew open, framing Deputy Shoupe, Sheriff Peterkin, and a few other officers in the silhouette of the afternoon light. Tate rubbed at her eyes, groggy and not used to the light. "What's happening?" she asked, her voice much fainter than she'd meant for to be.

"I thought I told you not to trespass again," the sheriff said, taking a step inside the house.

Tate was confused. "Sorry?"

Shoupe stepped forward. "You're under arrest for trespassing on private property and assault. Come with us now, young lady, and we won't have a problem."

"What?" Tate's mind was spinning. "You- but this is my cousin's house- I'm not trespassing-"

"Well, your cousin doesn't live here anymore, does he?" said Peterkin. Tate had no idea what she was talking about. "Now that his legal guardianship changed, this house isn't in his control anymore. You're squatting on land without the consent of the owner- that's trespassing. I gave you a warning at your mom's old place, and this is number two. Mixed with the attack of Ms. Batston earlier today, that's three strikes. You're out, kid."

There had to be some mistake. "How did you..." Tate started, but then it hit her. Rafe. He probably tipped off the cops. "Wait- where are you taking me?"

"Local jail until we can figure out your... situation," said Peterkin.

Tate shook her head and backed away slowly. The officers moved toward her. She could hear her heartbeat in her ears. "No- no, you can't take me. I- I can go find my dad. I'll just stay with him, okay? I still have a guardian here, you can't put me in the foster system-"