Chapter 2

My right hand uselessly flexes it's fingers, bracing myself for an attack while my other hand searches desperately for my gun.

My heart is hammering against my ribcage as I take it out and aim it everywhere I can, ever ready to fire. I walk slowly towards the source of the sound and cast a wary glance up the ladder, wondering if I should wake Joon up first.

No, that would be too late.

Swallowing my nerves, I tip toe slowly along the narrow metal walkway by the side of the large casing housing the hyperdrive. I near the end of the walkway and wince when the metal suddenly squeals under my weight.

It all happens so fast, a blur of movement that knocks me off my feet before I have a chance to comprehend what just happened.

My breath is knocked out of me as my back hits the floor with a loud thud. My left arm swings out instinctively as I shoot whoever it is who knocked me over but I miss and they grab my gun within seconds.

My right forearm is throbbing, my entire body is in pain as I look up at my assailant wondering if I am about to die.

"Remulus?"

My voice comes out in a faint whisper of disbelief as I watch the dark haired half Plutonian-half human smile down at me humourlessly.

"Minion, who taught you how to fight so terribly? Definitely wasn't me," He chides and then he grabs me by the shoulder, pulling me up.

My gun is now in his hand and he presses it's muzzle against my chest.

"Remulus, you've been here all along?" I still can't believe my words nor my eyes when he pulls us to our feet.

"I've been lurking around down here, sneaking up to fill my poor miserable belly and watching you scream in your sleep," His eyes flash with a darkness I've never seen before and suddenly I feel weak.

I've betrayed his leader, deserted our squad and it is now finally clear that my allegiance has always been with the humans and Earth. I never thought I would have to face Remulus again and looking at him now only makes me think of Lucian and the hatred in his eyes when he last stared at me at the army base.

"Tell me Bone Breaker, was it worth it?" Remulus uses the nickname he knows I hate and drags me along with him to the bottom of the ladder that leads to the rest of the ship.

He waits for my answer and we stare at each other for a few seconds, my mind as blank as the vast space that currently surrounds us.

"Yes," I reply after a while, my voice filled with conviction and bitterness. It makes Remulus's handsome face scrunch up in distaste.

He aims the gun at me and gestures for me to climb up. I do as told and use my good arm to hoist myself up.

"I didn't do it for myself. I did it for Earth. They were going to invade it, to make it the new Pluto and I...I just couldn't let that happen," I mumble, suddenly desperate to explain myself to him. It feels like I am pouring my heart out into my words because I want him to understand me.

Because maybe if he does then Lucian eventually might, no matter how wishful that sounds.

"You don't know the beauty of Earth, Remulus," I choke and swallow the lump that has formed in my throat. "I was free before I was brought to Pluto. I have a family who loves me, who's probably waiting for me at this very instant. I have to save them, I can't let them become slaves or fighters or paramours. Like me."

I feel the butt of the gun push me forward as I tumble out of the engine room.

"Is that what you tell yourself in order to be able to sleep at night?" Remulus mutters as he climbs over right after with the gun aimed at me the whole time.