Chapter 16

"Come, we shall wait for our food at the bonfire," Mori's daughter, Xari leads us past the doors that exit the temple and I chew my cheeks as I stare after Lucian. 

I am trying my best not to laugh at his expense but it is hilarious to see him all flustered, being whisked away to prepare our meals. I'm certain he has never had to serve anyone his entire life. 

This was going to be priceless. 

"What's for dinner, Xari?" Luna asks as she and Cat fall in step by our sides.

"Father's ordered for quite a feast, you know he's always hungry. We have various kinds of meat, freshly harvested leaves and sea food," Xari waves her stony hand in the air and it's amazing how such sturdy looking arms can look so graceful at the same time. 

She looks at me and smiles. "Don't worry they are all edible. I'm sure they will be the same for humans."

I hope so. I just got back my appetite after what feels like forever and I'm willing to risk indigestion if it means eating something other than that annoying algae. 

"We'll be fine," Cat pats my back, looking just as hungry. I turn to her and her face immediately fills with guilt. "I'm sorry for leaving you back at the rebel base. I should have waited. I had no idea Cetus would.." 

I nod in understanding as she trails off. 

"It's fine. No one saw that coming." 

"We should have. Our every movement and action is at risk, especially yours," Luna frowns at me. "We need to be on high alert regardless of where we are till this war is over." 

"You are always right, PG Luna," Pollux suddenly appears next to us and her eyes widen in surprise. 

"What are you doing here? You should be preparing the meals," Luna admonishes.  

"But..but," Pollux holds on to his computer suddenly as if the piece of machinery can save him from the four hungry girls staring at him. 

"Go!" Luna pushes him in the direction of the rest of the men and his shoulders slump in defeat. He then jogs ahead to join the rest of his squad. 

My heart clenches suddenly as I stare at their backs. I remember Altair shouting at me to stop at the army base on Pluto. We were in the same squad but at that moment we ended up shooting at each other. 

I wonder how they feel about me being here. Pollux seems okay, he's too preoccupied with his newly available crush but Remulus was quite bitter in the beginning and something tells me the rest may feel the same. 

Maybe they all hate me, just like Lucian does. I brush away the thought quickly. I shouldn't think about that stuff anymore. 

We walk along the grass with our bare feet - a custom in the nature homes - and Xari tells us about her citizens suffering because of Lazarus's new trade demands. 

"If it carries on like this, our planet will be broke within a few years and our resources all dried up," She says worriedly.

"Not to mention the men he will be demanding as soldiers for war," Cat adds and Xari's face turns grim. 

"When do you think that will happen?" She wonders out loud. 

"Well the war has technically already started, it could be anytime now," Luna says and her words make Xari falter in her steps. 

"No, I will not let them take my Qip," She says in a pained voice, filled with shock. 

"Qip?" I ask curiously. Is that a pet? Maybe a flying bird.