"Galina, The Vampire Queen"

MAVIS

                    "Did you justdid you blow up my car with a bouncy ball?" 

                    The woman's white-blonde hair was illuminated with the light of the fire. Smoke and ash and hot sparks unraveled from the twisted metal of her 1999 Toyota.

                     "If you had tried sitting on the driver's seat," the woman explained, "then that would have been you. Any pressure would have triggered it."

                      "And knowing that, you threw a bouncy ball at my car?" 

                       The woman shrugged, her eyes sliding from the fire to Mavis. "Would you have believed me if I hadn't?"

                        "Well―" No, probably not. "You're insane."

                        Mavis could already hear the sound of an alarm. Robin's country club security would probably be heading this way now, and explaining this―God, this was such a mess. She would be late to pick up Isla, and how did she even begin to tell Robin about the so-called assassin who had been sent after her? 

                        "You need to come with me," said the woman.

                        Two blondes in two days. This had to be the punchline of some bad joke.

                         "No, thank you," Mavis said politely. "You're a crazy bitch and my car just exploded."

                         "Do you know Evan Powell?"

                         His name was like a blow to her stomach. The woman didn't miss it.

                         "Yes," she purred in that throaty Russian accent. "I see. You are the one. There is an order of death on your head―a bounty, you Americans would call it."

                         What were the odds of two Russians telling her there were people out to kill her in the past two days?

                         The woman opened the door to her car, slipping into the driver's seat. 

                         At the entrance of the club, Mavis could see people in the distance, running towards her car. The fire. 

                         "If you want to know more about the woman you know as Ace, then get inside."

                         Mavis hesitated. She had only seconds before the security noticed her at the scene of the crime, and . . . what if it was true? If that had been her in that car . . . she'd be dead now. Why had the woman told her? And who had the woman seen―a man that had put a bomb beneath her seat?

                         And . . . she did want to know more about Ace.

                        Mavis got in the car.

                        As soon as she closed the door, the woman drove out of the Inferno club's parking lot. 

                       "Down the street," Mavis said breathlessly. "There's a Wal-Mart where we can park."

                       The woman nodded obligingly. Her blue eyes were so pale they were almost clear, like still pools of icewater. There was nothing warm about her, not from the white-blonde hair to the angle of her long, slender neck.